Leaves Starting to Change on Crepe Myrtle. Time to Bring in?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
First year in bonsai so still learning and this will be my first winter. I know on all my other tropicals I need to start bringing them in once it starts dipping below 50. My crepe myrtle being sub-tropical, I assume to treat the same. The leaves are already starting to change pigments and getting a reddish tinge. We got our first night below 50 last night, but we still have another week of lows in the mid 50s-low 60s. Should I start bringing it in now?

They'll be under a grow light all winter, so not sure if it matters them dropping and losing all their leaves or not.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Deciduous trees don't need any light over winter...no photosynthetic materials left....
I'd keep it outside year round....burty it in the ground on the north side of your house if you're worried.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The grow light is for only tropicals, peppers, philodendron, and hibiscuses that have been outside. None of my deciduous trees will be brought in, unless we have a crazy freeze like last year.

My question is regarding the crepe myrtle since it is sub-tropical if it should be left out like my other deciduous trees or brought in with my other tropicals.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thought these were meant to be treated as deciduous? That was my understanding, but if I'm wrong, I'm glad you made the thread before it got cold here!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some crapes can handle more than others. Being that you are in Zone 8 I would er on the side of leaving it outside. Do you know the type of crape myrtle it is?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some crapes can handle more than others. Being that you are in Zone 8 I would er on the side of leaving it outside. Do you know the type of crape myrtle it is?
Unfortunately no, it's a semi-dwarf based on leaf size but past that I'm not sure. I don't mind leaving it out and treating it the same as others, I wasn't sure.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I wasn't sure.
No problem, that's what this place is for, to help. I am in a considerably colder zone than you and keep mine in an unheated, detached garage over the winter. They lose their leaves and are slow to wake up in the spring just like my landscape one, but do fine.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have never really understood the tropical/semi-tropical designation given to crepe myrtles. It is safe to zero degrees and can live well north of the "subtropics." Of course, in a pot it is not as hardy but in zone 8 it should be fine. As others have said, sink the pot into the ground out of the wind and it should be fine.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A rule of thumb is that if the tree is hardy to your area (hardiness zone) in the natural landscape, then you should see if the tree is hardy in one zone colder than your area. If it is, then in a pot the tree can be kept outside in a wind/sun protected area with no issues over winter as far as the temps are concerned. If you have a lot of vermin, then you may need to do a better protection than just mulch. And dormant trees need no light -and light and heat are your enemy in winter as they may cause your tree to wake up earlier than your spring actually occurs, which is big trouble. Bringing anything but actual Tropical in your area may be a bigger problem than keeping them outside.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In zone 8, you can leave Crape Myrtles outside. They can handle winter in zone 7 or higher. If you guys in TX have another freakish winter storm like last year, then put it in the garage.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I left all my trees in the ground with the pots covered with mulch except my ficus and the luma apiculata. They were all covered in snow for 2 weeks and none of them had any issues.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have crape myrtles in the landscape that've survived down to 6°F. My one in a pot (think Anderson flat-ish) didn't hiccup.

Top Bottom