Leaves yellow and dropping by off

ziana

Seed
Reaction score
Hi , it’s been about two-three months now, since my flame tree has been growing and I’m not sure if my plant is dying or just dropping leaves as the season changes?

I do live in Canada, Toronto specifically, any advice on what I should be doing? I water about twice a week, enough to keep the soil damp not wet. It’s almost august so the leaves would be changing colour and falling off soon but the weather it’s still very hot here, so I’m a bit concerned that my plant is just dying? :(

please help? Thanks!

Attachments

• A439B066-34AE-43CE-A880-CF697A1FD49F.jpeg
    A439B066-34AE-43CE-A880-CF697A1FD49F.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 23
  • B8820D55-828E-4975-B888-49E3A81EE626.jpeg
    B8820D55-828E-4975-B888-49E3A81EE626.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 63C81E5D-9497-49EE-BD50-49B975DFA78F.jpeg
    63C81E5D-9497-49EE-BD50-49B975DFA78F.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 24

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you fertilized it since germination? What direction does your window face/how much light does it get? Unrelated, but it's going to be difficult to get it out of that pot eventually since the top is narrower than the rest of the pot.

Also, you can add your location to your profile so you don't have to say it in every post.

ziana

Seed
Reaction score
Have you fertilized it since germination? What direction does your window face/how much light does it get? Unrelated, but it's going to be difficult to get it out of that pot eventually since the top is narrower than the rest of the pot.

Also, you can add your location to your profile so you don't have to say it in every post.
Hi, thanks for replying,
I haven’t fertilized it, I’m very new to plants, this one was a gift 😅, is there a specific type or any fertilizer would do?

I have a north facing window, and it gets mainly indirect sunlight.

It was a starter pot I had it in, and was going to change it once the tree got more sturdy, but I noticed the leaves dropping and didn’t want to mess with it until I figured out what was happening?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There's specialty bonsai fertilizer but really Miracle-Gro or some basic fertilizer maybe at half strength would be fine right now. Probably the plant has used up whatever nutrients are in its potting soil and is cannibalizing its old leaves to keep growing.

Equally importantly, it could also use a LOT more light. If this tree grows outdoors in the tropics in full sun, that could be 100x stronger than the sunlight coming in through your north facing window (not exaggerating). I'm guessing you're in an apartment with no outdoor space? Is there a window you can put it in that faces some other direction? Even then it would be happier with supplemental light.

I don't want to be discouraging, just realistic. It's just plain difficult to grow plants in environments that are drastically different than what they're used to.

Top Bottom