Leaving Bald Cypress in standing water and MOSQUITOS!

Reaction score
I have been leaving my BC in standing water to help with the terrible heat wave we have been having in California. I go outside and look in my tub and find dozens of mosquito larvae growing (that explains what was biting me). What is a good way to prevent them? I ordered some mosquito dunks and I guess I will have to change the water out everyday. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had an issues/experience with resolving this issue. Thanks.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mosquito larvae take some time to grow and become pupae (comma shaped swimming things) before emerging as mosquito.
So it you regularly throw the water out you won't get mosquitoes. There is no need to use pesticides.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The mosquito larva killer stuff is like a fine oil, could add that to you pot...

B

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Here in South Alabama, where the mosquito is the state bird, I use the mosquito bits. I think the same company that makes mosquito dunks makes them also, you can get them at Lowes or Home Depot. They are not toxic to animals, I have a lot of birds that drink out of the containers and have not had any problem.

Reaction score

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the container is large enough throw a few fish in there.
Sounds a bit peculiar but I am quite serious.
Mosquito dunks do work well and they do not coat surface with an oily substance. They contain BTI bacteria that they release over about a month.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Mine here in FL are in nesting bus tubs so there isn’t any open water for them. I fill it just up to the top of the soil so there isn’t any standing water. Plus regular water changes. It takes 6-10 days with standing water from egg laying to hatching for the species in FL to hatch. So weekly water changes as well as not having enough water to show will short circuit the process.

Reaction score
No but I’ve thought about it. The transition from hydro or aquaponic to substrate can be tough on them from what I understand. Of course what we do is half way to hydroponics already so it may work.
Post updates if you ever get around to it. I've been research some cheap DIY hydroponic systems to test it out.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Post updates if you ever get around to it. I've been research some cheap DIY hydroponic systems to test it out.
I just got one but have so much going on I haven’t had a chance to set it up or learn much about it. I plan in asking a a local tree farm to order seedlings or collecting them. I may try seeds although the squirrels seem to get most of my local trees seeds! Lol

I’m also considering aquaponics as a bonsai cypress seem absolutely perfect for a fish pond! Do a bog area that you can walk on and have them in it or on it. That’s another project I need to get on! Lol

Top Bottom