Leaving Bald Cypress in standing water and MOSQUITOS!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9 months, give or take a few days. I would leave them in year round, but occasionally we do get some freezing temps and they don't like to have ice on the roots, so I take them out. I am not in agreement with what is being argued, that book is almost 40 years old and dated, plus it is talking about trees in nature, not in pots. Same ole book and argument that gets thrown in the ring when some mentions BC growing in water. There are BC all around the delta and on the edge of the bay that are living, thriving even, in several feet of water year round.
It might be more interesting and informative if you could provide newer research instead of offering anecdotal "evidence?"

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
It might be more interesting and informative if you could provide newer research instead of offering anecdotal "evidence?"
A fair point. I did share the results of the 2015 study that built on the ones used in your book. We all seem in agreement though that they prefer very wet environments, thicken their bases in water, only grow knees from older established trees more often in water than not, and can thrive in almost any environment up to a certain point of freezing. The only person I’m questioning is the woman who claimed it was bad for the trees to have submerged roots. That claim is incorrect from all anecdotal and scientific evidence I’ve ever seen. Drowning the whole tree? Sure that kills them if they’re under long enough but there are cypress trees on my river that never the water. Their bases are consistently and totally underwater except in the most extreme droughts. Interestingly enough being in the river they don’t seem to put up knees, perhaps because the depth of the water? But in 20+ years the one I see most often has never put one up that I can recall. Maybe there are some really tight to the base? I’ll look the next time the river is low.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A fair point. I did share the results of the 2015 study that built on the ones used in your book. We all seem in agreement though that they prefer very wet environments, thicken their bases in water, only grow knees from older established trees more often in water than not, and can thrive in almost any environment up to a certain point of freezing. The only person I’m questioning is the woman who claimed it was bad for the trees to have submerged roots. That claim is incorrect from all anecdotal and scientific evidence I’ve ever seen. Drowning the whole tree? Sure that kills them if they’re under long enough but there are cypress trees on my river that never the water. Their bases are consistently and totally underwater except in the most extreme droughts. Interestingly enough being in the river they don’t seem to put up knees, perhaps because the depth of the water? But in 20+ years the one I see most often has never put one up that I can recall. Maybe there are some really tight to the base? I’ll look the next time the river is low.
We can argue over knees til the cows come home. there is no "proof" an anything with trees that are constantly submerged growing. That's pretty well known. However, the depth of the water and its frequency on the site is the issue really. Fact is you don't see the trees that didn't survive because, well, they're dead and at the bottom of the swamp...Doesn't take constant water for BC to form knees (a lot of knees), I've seen hundreds of them in Texas growing in Interstate highway cloverleaf on/off ramps. Pretty extensive knees on a lot of those. Same for the stand of them at the Dallas convention center parking lot.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
We can argue over knees til the cows come home. there is no "proof" an anything with trees that are constantly submerged growing. That's pretty well known. However, the depth of the water and its frequency on the site is the issue really. Fact is you don't see the trees that didn't survive because, well, they're dead and at the bottom of the swamp...Doesn't take constant water for BC to form knees (a lot of knees), I've seen hundreds of them in Texas growing in Interstate highway cloverleaf on/off ramps. Pretty extensive knees on a lot of those. Same for the stand of them at the Dallas convention center parking lot.
Again fair points but what part of Texas? I know in Houston not two miles from my dads house Off 6 there’s enough water to flood the streets 6-8 feet deep regularly. They actually have gauges posted along the roads so you can see how deep it is. Interstate cloverleaf also generate a lot of runoff and create low and high spots. Are the cypress in the low spots? Does the highway drainage system push the flow to there like they do in FL? How old are they? Roughly of course. I already agreed she was a key determiner in knee growth. Everything I’ve read and seen in thousands of wild trees says they grow more knees when regularly inundated, live in damp soil or are consistently submerged. I’m not saying highlands cypress don’t grow knees, just not as often and not as many or as high of knees in my personal experiences and from what I’ve read. These are real questions not me trying to pick a fight. I haven’t been to see dad in a couple years and I never used to pay attention to trees like I do now.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'll take zeeka over Corona any day!

Lil head ass babies! Lol!

That was BS too.! You ever see any a them small head babies?

Sorce

@sorce
You're being insensitive. It's not funny. One of my family members is working in Belize, and has seen the grief of microcephaly up close. Zika is not a myth. It does not always cause microcephaly, about 2% of pregnancies have some degree of effect. In Belize it's a death sentence.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9

I have presented it numerous times with my own trees. Or, come visit, I'll take you to the delta and show you, maybe fishing, too

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have presented it numerous times with my own trees. Or, come visit, I'll take you to the delta and show you, maybe fishing, too
So why not link to something here?

I've spent a lot of time on the Gulf Coast since the early 1960's Used To fish on the Sabine Bayou near Orange and Beaumont quite bit. Pretty near this marina 😜 :

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
So why not link to something here?

I've spent a lot of time on the Gulf Coast since the early 1960's Used To fish on the Sabine Bayou near Orange and Beaumont quite bit. Pretty near this marina 😜 :
Darwinism!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Must a been a big ass gator!

And a fake ass Texan!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. Zika is not a myth

I only meant myth in the same capacity,, only counter, to how they use these things to instill fear, same as they are doing now.

Our beliefs guide our responses to these things.

I believe we are not greater than this system.

I also believe that the spirit that inhabits a worldy body isn't finished if that worldy body proves insufficient.

So while the "progressive" may think sob stories.

The PROGRESSIVE see progress.

Bless the child that knows the pain and is allowed freedom from it.

These are the enlightened.

The truely accepting.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darwinism!
There's more to the story. Guy was unlucky as hell

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Must a been a big ass gator!

And a fake ass Texan!

Sorce
11 foot 2 inch gator.

FWIW, my uncle had a hunt club down near Orange back when I was a kid. There was an old gator in the bayou that ran through it that he considered a pet. This was back when alligators were an endangered species. They weren't all that common in Texas. My uncle would go out in the evening with a bag of hamburgers and whistle. My uncle would blow that whistle and the Gator would come to the end of the dock and wait for the burgers...that gator was BIG about 10 feet. Just before WWII, that same uncle made his money with a lumber company that logged that swamp for Bald Cypress to build piers.

Last edited:

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
There's more to the story. Guy was unlucky as hell
People are stupid. If the gators in the marina it’s fed. Which means it doesn’t see you as a threat. Which means you’re food. Wild gator, no concern. Fed until it hangs around gator, be very very cautious.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
We just pulled a 10’ 4.5“ one that was hanging at our dock.

Attachments

• 3129E161-2C48-4671-87FD-38A5E29BB96F.jpeg
    3129E161-2C48-4671-87FD-38A5E29BB96F.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 20

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Again fair points but what part of Texas? I know in Houston not two miles from my dads house Off 6 there’s enough water to flood the streets 6-8 feet deep regularly. They actually have gauges posted along the roads so you can see how deep it is. Interstate cloverleaf also generate a lot of runoff and create low and high spots. Are the cypress in the low spots? Does the highway drainage system push the flow to there like they do in FL? How old are they? Roughly of course. I already agreed she was a key determiner in knee growth. Everything I’ve read and seen in thousands of wild trees says they grow more knees when regularly inundated, live in damp soil or are consistently submerged. I’m not saying highlands cypress don’t grow knees, just not as often and not as many or as high of knees in my personal experiences and from what I’ve read. These are real questions not me trying to pick a fight. I haven’t been to see dad in a couple years and I never used to pay attention to trees like I do now.
Piney woods aka "the pine curtain"--deep east Texas all the way west til past Dallas.

Top Bottom