Lebanon cedar - nursery rootball in burlap

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought a really cool nursery Lebanon cedar that is root ball in burlap in a 15 gallon grow pot. I'm thinking I should leave it in the pot over winter, it's already a beautiful S shape. Is it safe to leave in the burlap until I plan a repot in spring? 20200731_162435.jpg

Attachments

• 20200731_162453.jpg
    20200731_162453.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 45

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you can safely half bare root it now (i.e., wash out the b&b mud from one side of the trunk) and pot that in your chosen substrate, then next spring finish the job. It should now have lots of new foliage to power root recovery before winter and should show good vitality when buds swell next spring before you do the second half bare root. Of course, if it is weak then you can instead leave it be until this time next year or spring 2022.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would say it seems healthy there is a tiny bit of browning at the tips of the needles though. 15962435178954768742583228236189.jpg
I appreciate the help! I really want to make sure to keep this guy healthy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our distant friend @maroun.c has the latest experience with a similar situation.

You can browse these threads.

Tell you what...repotting B&B trees sucks ...and NOT burlap.

IMO. These are meant to be thrown in the ground and left to root. Bare rooting is likely your only hope.
It will likely be getting worse in health till you rid it of that situation.

If it was me, I'd just go Ham and say F 2.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree u got there, I live the trunk. My experience with lebanon cedar in nursery pots has been quite challenging so far, I got few in nasty clay type soil which were a pain to tease the roots out without major damage to the roots. Once that came in better soil still had the typical thick circling roots and the elbowing thick roots that go back to the center which is a pain.
I half bare rooted 3-4 trees around April just as buds opened up and half bare rooted 6 trees after New growth hardening around June which went good. A professional here does all cedar reporting and major root work in end of Jan. Were based in lebanon so maybe I'm confused with the dates but guy says he have minimal losses from repoting . I will try a couple trees next jan and see. Good luck with your tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @maroun.c !

I think, like @Smoke , January is a reliable repotting time for such long Summer climates. Makes sense.

Which will matter depending on the location of the Professor.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in Utah near Salt Lake City so we are pretty dry and hot this time of year. I started pulling back some of the top soil and mulching and found about 3 inches more of my trunk before I hit any roots that were trying to poke up I pulled out their mulching, the sides of the burlap and as much of the extra clay as I could with out disturbing the roots at all. Then replaced all that with peat, sand, pumice, small gravel a little of the clay mixed back in and topped it with some pea gravel. Then I cut away the extra 6 inches of pot rim that left me. So hopefully I can improve the flow for and get rid of some of that thick clay but not anger it too much for now and consider my options if I can get it some healthier conditions until proper time for repot.

Attachments

• 20200801_133700.jpg
    20200801_133700.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200801_133712.jpg
    20200801_133712.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice tree u got there, I live the trunk. My experience with lebanon cedar in nursery pots has been quite challenging so far, I got few in nasty clay type soil which were a pain to tease the roots out without major damage to the roots. Once that came in better soil still had the typical thick circling roots and the elbowing thick roots that go back to the center which is a pain.
I half bare rooted 3-4 trees around April just as buds opened up and half bare rooted 6 trees after New growth hardening around June which went good. A professional here does all cedar reporting and major root work in end of Jan. Were based in lebanon so maybe I'm confused with the dates but guy says he have minimal losses from repoting . I will try a couple trees next jan and see. Good luck with your tree.
It's definitely my favorite so far! I only have 10 trees so far but most have been younger nursery stock to try and learn. I went to the nursery to try to find a larger maple to get started for next year. Then I saw this glorious little guy. I'm a little nervous because I haven't killed anything yet except some clippings from a spruce that 100f degrees didn't agree with. I generally do a lot of research though so I'm hoping that's why I've had good luck so far. I do not want this to be my first! My plan is definitely to take it slow with this one to try my best to keep him with me.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
L: “Pressure (underwater) nearing 195 atmospheres!”

A: “How many “atmospheres” can the ship take, Professor?”

PF: “Well it’s a SPACE ship.... so anywhere between zero... and one.”

Respect, Hubert Farnsworth...

Respect.

🤓

(Definitely not an EXACT quote)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
L: “Pressure (underwater) nearing 195 atmospheres!”

A: “How many “atmospheres” can the ship take, Professor?”

PF: “Well it’s a SPACE ship.... so anywhere between zero... and one.”

Respect, Hubert Farnsworth...

Respect.

🤓

(Definitely not an EXACT quote)
I only wish I possessed his what I'm sure is extensive horticultural knowledge. 😄

Top Bottom