Lebanon Cedar

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Here is a tree that I have been working on for the past 18 months. It has been wired twice in that time period and only recently potted into a bonsai container. I used this long narrow pot as a temporary solution until I can find a round container with the right feel.

~18 months ago....
lebanoncedar1.jpg

Here is pic after it was potted a few weeks ago...
P9060329.JPG

John

Last edited:

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John,

Amazing transformation and training.

I like it even in the current container.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looking good! I also like the current container - though be careful of the rocks they are a little large and (in my opinion) distracting. It is hard for me to say this because I LIKE the rocks, but my eye went to the pot and rocks first and not to the tree.

I would recommend bending down the lowest four branches; you will want these to be lower than horizontal and it is best to train them down now because it will just be harder as the tree matures.

Watch branch #2 (the lowest on the left side). Based on your current design this is your primary branch and you want this to get much stronger and longer - sweeping down and to the left. This branch in particular you want to hang down at least 30 degrees past horizontal.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!
John

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do like this tree and cedars that are in this style. From an amateur's point of view though, I would say that the tree doesn't give me the feeling of it being stable. I get the sense that it could fall over that hill after next big wind gust.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I do like this tree and cedars that are in this style. From an amateur's point of view though, I would say that the tree doesn't give me the feeling of it being stable. I get the sense that it could fall over that hill after next big wind gust.

From an aesthetic perspective I tend to agree with you. Eventually this tree will find a home in a feminine round pot without any stones (although like you Bonsainut, I am a rock fan). However, if I had to do something to improve this composition I actually think a longer pot (I still think the narrowness is important), perhaps with rounded edges and corners would better the suite the impression that I am trying to create. Thanks for your input.
John

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderful Cedar, I to think an oval pot of the same depth with no rocks would be perfect. Cedar of Lebanon is one of my favorites. You just do not see to many of them around. Good job with this under utilized variety. Is this "Green Prince"?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Wonderful Cedar, I to think an oval pot of the same depth with no rocks would be perfect. Cedar of Lebanon is one of my favorites. You just do not see to many of them around. Good job with this under utilized variety. Is this "Green Prince"?

Thanks,
I do not know if it is Green Prince or not. It was only labeled Cedar of Lebanon.
John

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi John,
Any updates for the Lebanon cedar?
I've got 3 and thinking of making a forest but there awesome as individual trees.

Best regards,
Rishi.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is a tree that I have been working on for the past 18 months. It has been wired twice in that time period and only recently potted into a bonsai container. I used this long narrow pot as a temporary solution until I can find a round container with the right feel.

~18 months ago....
lebanoncedar1.jpg

Here is pic after it was potted a few weeks ago...
P9060329.JPG

John

John,

Did you get this one from Randy at the BLC?

Regards,
Martin

johng

Omono
Reaction score
John,

Did you get this one from Randy at the BLC?

Regards,
Martin

I did...this one and two others... see you soon!

Ris...here is one photo when this tree was used in an alternative style display... I will have to take a couple of newer shots when I get a chance.
P3011544_2.JPG

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This is very relaxing, soft sunset seen just amazes me.
Wish the picture was taken lower like level to the sun or pot,
Who cares I really enjoy that picture.

Rishi.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I did...this one and two others... see you soon!

Ris...here is one photo when this tree was used in an alternative style display... I will have to take a couple of newer shots when I get a chance.
P3011544_2.JPG

John,

I thought so. I was angry about it then. I am even more so now!

Looking forward to it. Did you find a hotel?

Regards,
Martin

johng

Omono
Reaction score
John,

I thought so. I was angry about it then. I am even more so now!

Looking forward to it. Did you find a hotel?

Regards,
Martin

We have been renting a house for that last 5 years...same one each year...best move we ever made! Hopefully you will be cooled off by then:)

Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Johng,

I doubt it, but I guess that gets down to what you have done with the other two...

Regards,
Martin

Nomad

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like the landscaping with the rocks... It gives a nice vertical sense to the flat container.

Top Bottom