LED grow light settings

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Or maybe this MarsHydro 150w which is a smaller version of my other one. I like the idea of the cheaper screw in bulb though if I can get by with it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use cool white led chips, so I don't have that weird red blue thing going, but even then, these led microchips get bright. I really try to only look at the light indirectly or else I have spots swimming around for a while.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Right now I've got a 900W Mars 2 LED.

Do you think that 100W little MarsHydro I posted will do the job? I really don't want to spend over $100 if at all possible. The ficus is in a 16"x20" pot and is 36" wide and 36" tall just for a size perspective.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Do you think that 100W little MarsHydro I posted will do the job? I really don't want to spend over $100 if at all possible. The ficus is in a 16"x20" pot and is 36" wide and 36" tall just for a size perspective.

I suppose it's worth a try. It's only a 75W draw, but that should be OK to get the Ficus through the winter. It may not thrive, but it should survive.

And by the way, I know you didn't ask for suggestions on that tree, but have you ever considered planting it deeper?
rxmd.jpg

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the advice. I haven't thought alot about styling or repotting yet as I just got it in and got a great deal. I paid what the pot alone is worth. It also needs the follage pads developed closer to the trunk with some ramification so it no longer looks like a Pom Pom bush. Any styling suggestions would be greatly appreciated from all. Thanks

Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'd also remove the aerial roots, they're just going to feed that part of the trunk and create reverse taper later down the road.

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
I'd like to mention to those who aren't aware of it, but you can also just go with some high power white LED's. It would be less efficient since your using energy to produce colors of light that the trees use less of, or none of. Blue and Red are the two that are used the most. Google PAR spectrum.

I have a white cob LED that run at 96W, it's killer.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Chad. I'd be interested in hearing from others who are using various LED's (Ryan, you out there?).

I currently hang mylar "curtains" from the ceiling to keep as much light in the plant area as possible without creating an enclosure that is a pain to get in/out of for watering, etc. A lot of light still escapes, though.

Chris

Edit to add - perhaps a trip to one of the local hydro shops is in order, to see what the lights look like in person.

I am using leds on my fukien tea. It is a led light setup for aquatic plant growth. Its pretty powerful (it takes alot to get through that water) my light spectrum is white.

Rick

Top Bottom