leggy malpigghias...

susieq14114

Yamadori
Reaction score
Due to being side tracked with other things and at the same time, having too many trees to take care of, some of my malpigghias have gotten out of hand and need to be reined in. The branches had gotten too long with the foliage being out on the ends of the branches and I need to somehow get some growth to pop out on them closer to the trunk. I had cut them back as far as I could while still leaving a leaf or two. I am afraid to cut back to the point of not leaving any green on them for fear that they will not sprout new growth. These are Barbados Cherry trees. They grow like wild fire and need constant triming to remain compact. I confess that I had just been too busy with other things this year and this big, woody, spidery looking thing needs tamed.... There are several, actually.

Any ideas on how to get this tree to pop new growth on old wood? Here in Florida, our growing season is still going full steam ahead.

One of my goals this year is to cut back on the trees I keep. I would rather spend some quality time on a few of my favorites than to be frantically trying to keep up with a bunch of stuff. So I have picked out quite a few things to get rid of . Hopefully, I can avoid this situation in the future...:rolleyes:

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
i so hear you about the malphigias. i started a couple of months ago to "rein them in", by cutting back just the way you mentioned. lots of fertilizer too. i was just looking at them today... the ones that are doing the best have the cleanest trunks/limbs. the other ones have some dark mold (?) or whatever. i'm wondering if i give them a good brushing/cleaning....

i too have let my collection get out of hand. too many trees with so/so potential. not enough time to give them the attention they deserve. especially in this heat, i barely get out there to water them. my club has an auction coming up, but historically the winning bids are very low (probably how i got so many trees!). do you have any ideas on how to sell, or whatever, to reduce? probably the hardest part will be deciding which ones have to go.

susieq14114

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi Cubbie,
Regarding the dark stuff on your "piggies" mine get that when I have an infestation of aphids. I think if you just spray them good (I use Cygon) they should clear up. You have them in full sun? They like it and are less prone to aphids and other problems when kept in full sun.

I grew most of my piggies from cuttings over the years, both the Barbados Cherry and the Singapoore Holly varieties.... An old friend of mine used to do a lot of conventions and I had planned to start doing them with him when he died suddenly about 4 years ago.

Bonsai is a nice relaxing pass time for me now...or at least that's my goal. It isn't my main focus anymore. I plan on putting an ad in Craig's list for our area when we participate in my brother inlaw's yard sale in another neighborhood. I will advertise the yard sale and list my pre bonsai stock (including 3 san jose junipers that have been in training for years, some piggies of both varieties, a fukien tea and some pots) I spent most of yesterday working on putting some of the piggies in bonsai pots...they are much nicer than any of the "mallsai" that people want to buy at flea markets, grocery stores, mall kiosks, etc.

I am very wary of having anyone come to the house to see my stuff. Even with a fenced in back yard and a big dog, you can't be too careful. Bonsai are a popular theft item..... Our local flea market also offers a "yard sale" section cheaply to rent and that would be a way to have a lot of folks see your plants without coming to your home.... Again, you could post in Craig's list to let people know you will be there on a certain Saturday or Sunday...

Yes, the hard part is deciding what to part with...... but I look forward to spending some quality time refining the trees that I keep. I hope I can get down to about 24 favorites...considering I have half a dozen san jose's that I can't think of letting go, it's not going to be easy....LOL

But right now the main concern is getting a couple of the Barbados Cherry to bud back on old wood, closer to the trunk....otherwise, next growing season I might just cut all the branches off and leave a tiny bit of foliage at the top....feed the hell out of it and hope it pops out all over. I will just grow all new branches from scratch.

Top Bottom