Leggy Privet (i have no idea what i'm doing)

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When I dug this I thought it looked cool. Now that it's pruned back, out of the ground, and potted I feel like I have no idea where to go with it. If roots were flexible I could see experimenting with root over rock or the above-ground roots of some serissa's I've seen. But as-is I'm not sure where to take it. Any thought's welcome - including those that advise to just trash it and use the pot for something better - I could use that sort of feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2685.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2686.JPG
    IMG_2686.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2687.JPG
    IMG_2687.JPG
    405.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    400.8 KB · Views: 40

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As you may already know, privets will back-bud like crazy, and that may also extend to the root zone. Are you in-love with the "aerial roots" as you currently have it? It may be worth while to cut back the roots further (you can't kill them) and plant it somewhat deeper, since it has somewhat of a "sumo" style in the first photo.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, sumo style. If the tree were mine I'd let it grow this season, maybe some pruning in mid summer. Next year I'd layer the big roots off, something along these lines.
IMG_2685.jpg

boonefrog

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, sumo style. If the tree were mine I'd let it grow this season, maybe some pruning in mid summer. Next year I'd layer the big roots off, something along these lines.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've liked this idea of air-layering out those downward-pointy roots so they can get a more gentle radial curve outward. I'm also heavily considering sumo style. Thanks for that insight and I'll update as the seasons progress!

Top Bottom