Lemon Cypress, aka 'Wilma' Monterey Cypress, Cupressus macrocarpa 'Wilma'

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is recombobulated from post #233, "What’s your latest Bonsai related purchase?" thread so as to provide a place for others to commit the same crime against nature and bonsai.

It's Christmas time so the stores are selling these Cupressus macrocarpa 'Wilma'/ Wilma Monterey cypress retailers call Lemon Cypress. They have tiny foliage and I have always wondered if they would make good bonsai. I'm going to find out.
Cu W 2020_1127 as new.jpg

I haven't looked inside, but it has some modest wood so I will make it whatever size the wood inside there supports. I don't buy stock to grow into bonsai, I make bonsai out of the size I buy and then then they mature into what the species will, and given that, I will wire the branches and trim back to where the foliage has to start so that it will finish at some shape that will be believable. Sometimes it works, and sometimes....

I looked around trying to find examples of these as bonsai and found zero that I would condescend to call starters. There were some that others thought were "bonsai", but we all know how abused the term is. We shall see what this critter looks like when I butcher it back to something approximating a starting point. I need your prayers.

Anyone with experience or advice should pipe up.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, the opening gambit didn't go as well as I had planned. Go figure. I've made some notes on what I think is now or will happen and others with a similar interest in this plant should give it a go.
Cu W 2020_1128 Edit 1.JPGCu W 2020_1128 Edit 2.JPGCu W 2020_1128 Edit 3.JPGCu W 2020_1128 Edit 4.JPGCu W 2020_1128 Edit 5.JPG
It may be a very good Shohin candidate ignored for no other reason than it's only being available around Christmas as a disposable houseplant.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
These are the kinds of critters that go on sale after Christmas when you can't tell whether or not they're dead. I may try a few cheapies out at that time.

Top Bottom