Lemon Cypress

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yesterday I had gone to lowes for Christmas decorations and found a cheap little lemon cypress with good potential for a nice twin trunk shohin. I do have a few questions though. First, I found it in the indoor plant section and I read online that they can be indoor or outdoor. What would be better for it, slowly acclimate it to outside or keep it indoors for the winter in my north facing window? My second question is how much foliage can I remove while styling it at a time, and when do I do this? I want to drastically prune it if possible. (I read that you prune them in winter?) Mine has extremely dense foliage all the way to the trunk that needs greatly reduced. It is very healthy and well established in its pot so It should be able to take some abuse.

Any general care, help, or experience is very appreciated.
Height approx 12 inches from longest shoot to soil. Made an outline of the trunk because it is difficult to see.

Joe

Attachments

• 1130141536.jpg
    1130141536.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 1130141537.jpg
    1130141537.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 1130141841.jpg
    1130141841.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a nice trunk in there!

I would chop it to a little higher than in pic 2.
But don't cut anything growing from within pic2. Looks like a lot of useful stuff.

When? Don't know.

I would keep it inside this season unless you can get it slowly acclimated.

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I definitetly dont thinm I should chop it that low. It has very good taper already due to so many branches. If I could make a decent virt on my phone Id show you, but I probably could make a chop 1/3 to 1/2 the way up. I was thinking the left trunk should be the dominant one because it is thicker (cant tell it is from the pics) and the right should be much shorter. Another route I thought about was jinning the entire right side, but I decided against it.
For the branches on the trunk, I plan on keeping most of them except these two in the very middle that cross. Not sure if you can see that in these pics.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Since I am awful at virts, I made some sketches of what my plan is. As far as the trunk, shari, and jins they are exactly how I want them but I just winged the branch placement and shape. Really I could do almost all this work in one day, except for the nebari, I havent even looked at the roots yet. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1201141655.jpg
    1201141655.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

logan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently saw one of these trees at lowes and searched the forum for info. And was wondering how this tree turned out?

logan

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang that sucks I was hoping to see a pic. I can't seem to find any real info. on this tree. Which I guess is an answer in a way. Thanks

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It was shaping up real nice actually. I loved the smell of it. Had nice potential and took abuse.

You should give it a go.

Top Bottom