Lemon seed propagation

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My dad just brought me two bags of Myers lemon seed up from Florida that are from trees that my grandpa started years ago. What is the best way to store then until it's time to propagate? When is the best time to try and start them? I'm sure if I can get them started a couple will be trained as a bonsai😁

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently read about you're not supposed to let citrus dry out.

Me and the little one just plant em right out the fruit.

Sorce

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Fresher is best with citrus, but it sounds like these were gathered recently, so even if they were dried briefly, they should still be fine. My brother has had great success germinating all manner of citrus seeds using the ziploc bag and wet paper towel method. No fridge. I'd reccomend trying this right away with at least some of the seeds while they're still very fresh. If the paper towel starts to mold replace it, or you could add a drop of hydrogen peroxide to help prevent it. Once germinated, transfer to seedling pots/soil. Can be grown indoors for a little while in a sunny window till winter is over, or outside if temps are mild where you are. Just don't let them freeze. Manture trees in the ground can survive a little light frost, but not seedlings.

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fresher is best with citrus, but it sounds like these were gathered recently, so even if they were dried briefly, they should still be fine. My brother has had great success germinating all manner of citrus seeds using the ziploc bag and wet paper towel method. No fridge. I'd reccomend trying this right away with at least some of the seeds while they're still very fresh. If the paper towel starts to mold replace it, or you could add a drop of hydrogen peroxide to help prevent it. Once germinated, transfer to seedling pots/soil. Can be grown indoors for a little while in a sunny window till winter is over, or outside if temps are mild where you are. Just don't let them freeze. Manture trees in the ground can survive a little light frost, but not seedlings.
Should I wash the outer skin off with fresh water and then put them in a bag?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wash or just wipe the flesh off, fresh water only. Salt water will kill them. Soap is not needed.

I just put seeds directly in a pot of houseplant soil. Cover maybe quarter to half inches deep with the potting media. Citrus are not fussy about type of soil. Regular "houseplant" media will work.

Keep moist on the brightest window you have. Takes a couple weeks to sprout.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Citrus seeds do get moldy fast. So watering them with peroxide water every couple days instead of just tap water, might be beneficial.
Or sprinkle some copper sulphate around the hole you bury it in.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Should I wash the outer skin off with fresh water and then put them in a bag?
I'd get the seeds as clean as you can before trying to germinate. Any flesh left on will encourage more mold. You could put them straight into sterile soil like the others have suggested too, or experiment with both soil and bag method. The bag method let's you see if they've germinated sooner, but is probably more prone to developing mold than using sterile seedling dirt, so just be mindful about mitigation with peroxide as necessary.

Top Bottom