Lemon seedlings turning yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a terracotta pot with lemon seedlings in it. Only one of the 3 seedlings is showing this symptom.

The seedlings are in a mix of potting soil and sifted peatmoss I believe. I know its a bad soil mix for the trees but I wanted to see what the growth difference was between lemons growing in potting soil and ones growing in inorganic soil.

Anyways after seeing the yellow tips on this one seedling I payed close attention to all my citrus and I have noticed all my lemons and citrus in general have been looking rather light in color so I bought FoliagePro from Dynagrow since many people love it for citrus. So far have given them one dose and many look better so far, (still not the shade of green I would like) but better. I also picked up some super thrive and added a dose of that.

Since I have added the super thrive its actually growing a new set of leaves but the yellowing tips have stayed. They dont look worse persay but thry dont look better. Is this something that can be reversed?

20201014_183003.jpg

20201014_183016.jpg
Here is some pictures of the affected leaves. Nearly all of the leaves have some yellowing to them.
20201014_183709.jpg
Here is the whole pot with all 3 seedlings
20201014_183736.jpg
Here is the new growth that has very recently shown itself.

At first I figured it would be root rot since its in soil which isnt good for drainage, but only one plant is being affected but is also growing, would root rot not stunt the seedling?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Make sure you read the article I attached. Citrus are really sensitive to soil and water pH. If the pH of your water or soil is off, it doesn't matter how much you fertilize - because your tree won't be able to take up the nutrients. Usually when I see yellow leaves on citrus like this, the symptoms are nutrient deficiency - but the cause is bad pH, either too alkaline or too acidic. In Southern California, if you didn't constantly acidify your soil, you could not keep citrus.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Make sure you read the article I attached. Citrus are really sensitive to soil and water pH. If the pH of your water or soil is off, it doesn't matter how much you fertilize - because your tree won't be able to take up the nutrients. Usually when I see yellow leaves on citrus like this, the symptoms are nutrient deficiency - but the cause is bad pH, either too alkaline or too acidic. In Southern California, if you didn't constantly acidify your soil, you could not keep citrus.
Ok will do. As for soil Its in potting soil (5.3-6.4PH) mixed with leat moss (3.0-4.0PH) And I only use rain water (5.0-5.5PH) I will read the article, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom