Lemon Seeds

Dex

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is anything special I should do when planting lemon seeds. I was slicing a lemon for my water bottle today before work and a seed popped out and hit the ground. I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing it sooner, but I popped the seed down into some potting soil and watered it. Is there anything special I should be doing with lemon seeds? How long until I can expect a shoot? I didn't wash the seed off. Would this complicate the process?

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have been growing a lemon tree from a seed for 5 or 6 years. I likely started it in a sand/peat mixture but it should be fine in normal potting soil. I do not think I took too much care to clean it off before planting. It is a pretty easy and straight forward tree to grow, just make sure it gets a good amount of light.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This post snuck past me :) Don't forget, most lemon seeds will not breed true - similar to the same subject regarding Japanese Maples. If you want an EXACT replica of whatever lemon (or other citrus) that you have in your hand, the only guarantee will come if you can get a cutting or graft. In most cases of nursery citrus trees, they specifically select the citrus root stock for your climate and growing conditions. You may find that a rooted seedling will be weaker, will not be as fruitful, may not bare fruit at all, or may in some other form be very different from what you were expecting :) If, on the other hand, you just wanted to grow a seedling to see "what will happen" - knock yourself out. I just want to warn people before they undertake a multiyear journey that may have a different ending :)

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
Is the same true for citrus mitis/calamondin?

as for above seeds. i let them soak and rinsed, in tupperware shake rinse soak repeat a few times over 24 hour period. i got 100% germination in less than a week. YMMV.

Top Bottom