Lemon tree.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to grow a lemon tree last year. Will never be a bonsai but wanting to end up in a 5 gallon container. Its been growing a lot this winter in the green house. Was just out there watering and noticed all the boogies are getting ready to flower and then noticed something on the lemon tree. Looks like a flower? Maybe will turn into a lemon? I have zero knowledge of a lemon tree but its so cool for me to see it doing something. It was very slow to get growing but seems to be working now.
20170704_184013 (Small).jpg
20180105_105126 (Small).jpg
20180105_105023.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a regular lemon, and a Meyer lemon. Don't the flowers smell wonderful? Yes, the flowers will turn into lemons, probably not all of them. I have never successfully harvested a ripe lemon though. Squirrels snip them off just to be assholes, them leave them lay.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a regular lemon, and a Meyer lemon. Don't the flowers smell wonderful? Yes, the flowers will turn into lemons, probably not all of them. I have never successfully harvested a ripe lemon though. Squirrels snip them off just to be assholes, them leave them lay.
I think this is a Meyer lemon. It so cool seeing it do something new. At first I thought it would take years before it would fruit. I have hope now. I plan to up pot it each spring until its into a nice looking 5 gallon container. I haven't smelled the flower yet but will do. I've trimmed it a few times to get it to bush out and its cool when you smell the clippings. Just like a lemon. Tried making some lemon tea from the leaves but it wasn't good at all.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have a Calamondin orange too, just for fun. It produces a lot more fruit than the lemon, and squirrels don't bother them. But the fruit is really sour.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you grow this from seed?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Squirrels snip them off just to be assholes, them leave them lay.
When I got home from work yesterday, I opened the back door to let my dog out, and I saw a humongous red-tailed hawk dismembering a squirrel in my yard....
If it makes you feel any better...

JakeH

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I had some Meyer lemon seedlings growing last year until an unforeseen frost killed them, but seeing this makes me want to try again! Fruiting plants are so interesting to watch develop.

But anyways, I'm pretty sure lemon trees are self pollinating, so once a good number of flowers open up I'm sure it'll be on the way to producing

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
lemon trees are self pollinating,
Yep, they will flower and put on fruit inside during the winter. And I don't have a beehive inside. ;)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We had one living in a big tree in our yard for awhile. My pomerainian refused to go outside alone, because it would swoop down at him.
Yeah, definitely watch out for that...I know of it happening to a Chihuahua around here.
I'd keep an air pistol in my hand when I let my dog out, if I had to worry about that.
Pop a cap in a predatory bird! :cool:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely watch out for that...I know of it happening to a Chihuahua around here.
I'd keep an air pistol in my hand when I let my dog out, if I had to worry about that.
Pop a cap in a predatory bird! :cool:
No worries now. He had a stroke and had to be put down. :(

Little stub

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to grow a lemon tree last year. Will never be a bonsai but wanting to end up in a 5 gallon container. Its been growing a lot this winter in the green house. Was just out there watering and noticed all the boogies are getting ready to flower and then noticed something on the lemon tree. Looks like a flower? Maybe will turn into a lemon? I have zero knowledge of a lemon tree but its so cool for me to see it doing something. It was very slow to get growing but seems to be working now.
View attachment 173115
View attachment 173116
View attachment 173117
Hi,there is a bonsai tutorial on how to bonsai a lemon tree by bonsai lligan on YouTube you might be interested??

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,there is a bonsai tutorial on how to bonsai a lemon tree by bonsai lligan on YouTube you might be interested??
I will see if I can find it. Plan for this is to have a good sized potted lime tree just for fun.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just my opinion but the tree to me looks thin(trunk). If you let it produce fruit you might want to limit it to one or two, they may bend the tree. The fruit will also take away from the growth of the tree.
I have an original Meyer lemon. Best fruit ever!!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just my opinion but the tree to me looks thin(trunk). If you let it produce fruit you might want to limit it to one or two, they may bend the tree. The fruit will also take away from the growth of the tree.
I have an original Meyer lemon. Best fruit ever!!
Yes and you also have to trim of some off the branches because of the way the grow off the trunk. Weight on the goofy branches will brake off the branch. I have been trimming those off as it grows. Next time I see another one of the "prone to breaking" branches I will take a picture. Another big mistake people make when they are this size is not pruning enough when young to create a thicker more compact bush rather than a lanky tree. This tree has a long way to go but will get there. This year will be lots of pruning weaker branches and prune to create a nice thick round bush :cool:
I doubt it could support a single lemon at this point.

Top Bottom