Lemon tree.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Who would want to try!

More seriously, I believe they do because my calamondin came as a cutting in a sealed bag.

Their fruit has actually grown on me...
I don't want cuttings for myself, was going to try to send some to @c54fun . I don't care for the fruit, apparently the squirrels don't either, since they only steal my lemons.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't want cuttings for myself, was going to try to send some to @c54fun . I don't care for the fruit, apparently the squirrels don't either, since they only steal my lemons.

They are really sour... but completely edible. More like lemons in flavor than oranges.

Rather then send cuttings, send seeds. And if you want to send seeds always remember - a dry citrus seed is a dead citrus seed. They are not like pine seeds that go dormant and can handle long periods of dry. Send a calamondin fruit - no matter how poor condition - and the fruit will protect the seeds inside.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They are really sour... but completely edible. More like lemons in flavor than oranges.

Rather then send cuttings, send seeds. And if you want to send seeds always remember - a dry citrus seed is a dead citrus seed. They are not like pine seeds that go dormant and can handle long periods of dry. Send a calamondin fruit - no matter how poor condition - and the fruit will protect the seeds inside.
Their flavor is actually really good, but they’re so sour they are almost inedible. They go great with drinks though, and when you use it like a lime instead of an orange they work. If you pick them at exactly the right time they’re less sour, too.

Have you grown them from seed before?

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Who would want to try!

More seriously, I believe they do because my calamondin came as a cutting in a sealed bag.

Their fruit has actually grown on me...
I make a really good orange marmalade from the fruit on my calamondin. It lives outdoors most of the year, but spends the night indoors when we expect temps below 28. We do the same with a Meyer lemon, a key lime, and a Mandarin orange. Two crops a year on the calamondin, one a year on the others.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't recommend that.
I saw that you can send commercial fruit from non-infected states into Texas. I'm not sure if seeds alone from an unlicensed citizen would count; legislators can get screwy sometimes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend that.
I saw that you can send commercial fruit from non-infected states into Texas. I'm not sure if seeds alone from an unlicensed citizen would count; legislators can get screwy sometimes.
Ok, got it. Don't need any trouble with the law, lol.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most commercial citrus plants are grafted to a cold-heartier trifoliate root stock. It gives the commercial growers more control over the product they are selling by virtue of the fact that they are grafting genetically "identical" scions to the heartier rootstock, and not spending time wondering what other citrus varieties might have pollinated the citrus tree from which they got the seeds. A friend of mine's father was in this business for decades in central FL.

Seems like the only danger of using a grafted plant for bonsai would be cutting it below the scion, and ending up with the trifoliate as your plant. I can't see a downside of rooting a cutting for bonsai, except for losing those few degrees of cold-heartiness.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can't see a downside of rooting a cutting for bonsai, except for losing those few degrees of cold-heartiness.

That's why I air-layered my calomondin last year... doesn't seem to have slowed it down in the slightest. That and cut the girdle at an angle so the resulting tree wouldn't have a dead upright trunk.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice! Thanks for posting the development. I look forward to regular updates!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Really.. I have plenty of squirrels. Didn't know they liked lemons. I will have to put something around it. Thanks for the warning.
They just snip mine off, then leave them. Little bastards. They don't bother the Calamondin oranges.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They just snip mine off, then leave them. Little bastards. They don't bother the Calamondin oranges.
I was just reading about them. Plan on going to Home depot for some screen to put around it. I put it back in the greenhouse until I get some screen.

Top Bottom