Leo's 2nd entry to 5 year Native tree Native Pot - Vaccinium corymbosum - Highbush Blueberry

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I am planning on digging a highbush blueberry from the farm in SW Michigan. I have some old blueberries that we are slowly replacing with younger stock. Should be able to dig one with 40 year old root system. The highbush blueberry, Vaccinium corymbosum, is native to MI. I live on the farm part time in the summer, and the farm is only 188 miles from my front door in Illinois, so highbush blueberry meets the "native" criteria. Its "kinda" cheating, in that I have a whole orchard's worth to choose from. So that is why it is my "second entry". In the other thread will be something I dig this winter from the farm.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Darth Masiah - have no fear, your entry in my opinion looks better than mine at this point.

As some of you know, I sold my interest in the farm over the winter. I was in a hurry, because I was at the final closing, and I needed to grab a bush before my being on the farm changed from strolling where I belonged to criminal trespass. The farm is now in different hands. No more fresh blueberries in July, and I finally will be able to work on my own trees in spring. I get to retire for the second time. It was fun, and a lot of work, the work part I won't miss.

This is a 40 to 50 year old 'Blue Crop', which is a cultivar of Vaccinium corymbosum. It is a cultivar selected 80 or more years ago, its genetics is 100% corymbosum, it is not a hybrid, just a cultivar selection of the species. As culinary blueberries go, it is quite good, even when compared to modern hybrid cultivars.

The photos don't look like much and I had to stick it into this deep pot, because of the shape of the roots system. I expect to get it into an American made pot within 5 years, but we will see how it progresses.

I'll get better pictures in a few weeks.

IMG_20210426_183420684.jpg IMG_20210426_183431441.jpg

IMG_20210426_183454942.jpg

IMG_20210426_183503974.jpg

Top Bottom