Leo's "azalea 2020 -2025" contest entry

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Update,
Whip bought in 2019 from David Kreutz. I lost the tag, so don't know which cultivar it is. (this irritates me, I hate loosing the pedigree of good stock).
This is the whip I submitted when @Pitoon first announced the contest.
Took it out of the well house 2 weeks ago, added some wire to bring down the thicker branches. I need to wire some movement into the trunk, it is too straight.

I'm thinking doing as tall an azalea as I can, with branches to form "platforms" on which to display the flowers. Trained more for flower display than for tree-ness. I have not seen it bloom yet. I do have a couple flowers coming at the apex.

IMG_20200517_163217333.jpg IMG_20200517_163226616.jpg IMG_20200517_163233138.jpg IMG_20200517_163240228.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update,
Whip bought in 2019 from David Kreutz. I lost the tag, so don't know which cultivar it is. (this irritates me, I hate loosing the pedigree of good stock).
This is the whip I submitted when @Pitoon first announced the contest.
Took it out of the well house 2 weeks ago, added some wire to bring down the thicker branches. I need to wire some movement into the trunk, it is too straight.

I'm thinking doing as tall an azalea as I can, with branches to form "platforms" on which to display the flowers. Trained more for flower display than for tree-ness. I have not seen it bloom yet. I do have a couple flowers coming at the apex.

View attachment 303708 View attachment 303709 View attachment 303710 View attachment 303711

That sounds like a great plan... built for color display... I’m quite excited to watch it’s progression.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Leo in N E Illinois how tall is that whip and how old do you think it is? I was planning to grow last years cuttings to whips. I'm super curious on what you can do with that whip. It will definitely give me some ideas.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have not measured the whip, I think it is currently 36 to 40 inches tall, a meter, give or take a little. Diameter is still less than pencil thick. I bought it in May 2019 from David Kreutz, if I understood him it was imported from Japan sometime in 2017. It had to sit in quarantine for a year, so he probably got it in 2018, when I bought it, it was one of the last left from that batch of whips. Given warmth & humidity, meaning daytime highs in the 80's F, and nights above 65 F. these azalea can grow very fast. They are grown in southern Japan, or if in the north, low elevation Japan. I would imagine it was between 3 and 6 years old when it left Japan in 2017. So that means it is probably 6 to 9 years old from cutting as of May 2020. I would be surprised if it was older than 9 or 10 years, and surprised if it was younger than 6 years.

In Japan the cuttings are set up in such a way that light is mainly from the top. Encouraging the cutting to grow up. I don't know if they use dark plastic sleeves, or just cram a bunch of cuttings next to each other or what, but the way these are started is a little different than the way we normally do it here. The whip is putting out more and more side branches.

I need to wire in some curves to the trunk.

I don't know the final height, I do plan on letting side branches develop, and then at some point I will prune down to the final height. By letting lower branches get long, I can build taper without relying on drastic "chops'', or if I get lazy, I can just do a drastic chop. Right now I'm thinking of using as much of the height as I can.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have not measured the whip, I think it is currently 36 to 40 inches tall, a meter, give or take a little. Diameter is still less than pencil thick. I bought it in May 2019 from David Kreutz, if I understood him it was imported from Japan sometime in 2017. It had to sit in quarantine for a year, so he probably got it in 2018, when I bought it, it was one of the last left from that batch of whips. Given warmth & humidity, meaning daytime highs in the 80's F, and nights above 65 F. these azalea can grow very fast. They are grown in southern Japan, or if in the north, low elevation Japan. I would imagine it was between 3 and 6 years old when it left Japan in 2017. So that means it is probably 6 to 9 years old from cutting as of May 2020. I would be surprised if it was older than 9 or 10 years, and surprised if it was younger than 6 years.

In Japan the cuttings are set up in such a way that light is mainly from the top. Encouraging the cutting to grow up. I don't know if they use dark plastic sleeves, or just cram a bunch of cuttings next to each other or what, but the way these are started is a little different than the way we normally do it here. The whip is putting out more and more side branches.

I need to wire in some curves to the trunk.

I don't know the final height, I do plan on letting side branches develop, and then at some point I will prune down to the final height. By letting lower branches get long, I can build taper without relying on drastic "chops'', or if I get lazy, I can just do a drastic chop. Right now I'm thinking of using as much of the height as I can.

Good info there. Couldn't you get in contact with David to try and get the cultivar name? Looks as if I got quite some time to get my cuttings that long.

Is this your first azalea whip in training? Looking forward to seeing what you can do with that whip.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got a second whip the exact same age. The two are my first time dealing with whips. When the one with no label blooms I'll send a photo to David to see if he knows which cultivar it is. He might, he might not recognize it. Don't know if the label got lost in his custody, or while in transit between Japan-quarantine, or in the back of my car on the way home from the workshop I bought it at.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As got a better look yesterday, the majority of flowers have a pink marking or two. As this matures, it should be quite colorful, with the random stripes and marks everywhere. The markings are a lovely pink with purple undertones, rather than orange-ish undertones. I love it.

IMG_20200610_140838018.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
According to @Harunobu , this azalea looks like it is either progeny from a seed cross with 'Asuka' or it might be a sport from 'Asuka'. When I contact David Kreutz for help in figuring out what it is, hopefully this information will help sorting the identity out.
I really like those flowers. If you ever want to trade some cuttings I have some azalea cuttings potted up, several Girards and Robin Hill cultivars, just let me know.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you want to compare yourself:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you want to compare yourself:

Thank you, the Google translator makes a mish-mash hash of Japanese language, but it could make some sense of the written description. The photos are wonderful. The photos convinced me it is worth tracking down a verified, or "bona fide" plant of 'Asuko'. It is certainly a beautiful cultivar.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It translate 'large and small peach-red shibori' to 'A large and small peach shiba crimson squeezer'. With shibori meaning the streaks of colour. The colour kanji are hard to understand. I already have problems following colour descriptions in English. But what is 'peach firewood deep red' for a colour?

If you know the flower shape and sport kanji, and some of the colour kanji, it is pretty straightforward to read. And google translate is able to grasp the simple grammar of these description sentences. And the last part where according to Google translates it says: "It is a legendary flower that has become a legend of Satsuki world by producing a number of varieties as mating parents and branches of Asuka and Asuka Nishiki.", that is pretty apt. Asuka is like the new Juko or Suisen now. It is what has been in fashion the last decade. But fashion is always changing, and so are cultivar.

By the way, there are many more cultivar descriptions on that blog. If you click on the Japanese alphabet links on the top of the page,
あ~さ はこちら た~わ はこちら
There are two lists, 'a to sa' and 'ta to wa'.

The problem is, it is all in kanji so usually useless to us who want to search using romanized names. So then you use this:

Or if you read hiragana (or use a tool to go to hiragana), you can use this:

Last edited:
Top Bottom