Lessons Learned From Repotting

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I have just returned to work after a 5 month hiatus to have surgery for a herniated disc in my neck. One of the only things that kept me sane during this time was being with and working on my trees. Having the time to spare I was able to repot over 40 trees this year, and I would like to use this thread to share what I have and will continue to learn from these experiences. Please keep this thread going by sharing what lessons you picked up repotting this year. To begin, last year was the first time I was given good instruction on repotting, and with the repots I did last year I entered this season with more confidence and deeper understanding working on roots than I ever have before. This year was the first time I would see the root systems of a lot of my trees, and I rarely got what I expected.
1. You can not have too many pots! I have been amassing a decent pot collection for the past few years, and not one of the trees I repotted went into the pot I had thought it would. Having a wide variety to choose from let’s you pick the pot that is right for the root system you uncover, rather than feeling you need to force the roots into a less then ideal home. I kept a large selection of nursery cans I could cut down to size, and this proved invaluable when the right size ceramic wasn’t there, especially since most of my trees are in development rather than refinement, and I wanted to provide room for roots to grow, but not so much room that I would have difficulty balancing water and oxygen between occupied and unoccupied substrate.
2. Give yourself lots of time. Every repot I did took longer than I expected, and our goal is to do a great job, not just to get the job done. Make sure you won’t be rushed toward the end of your work. You wouldn’t want your heart surgeon rushing through their work, and your trees deserve the same.
3. I need to learn more techniques for tying trees into their pot and supporting them. Since most of my trees are coming out of nursery soil or their collected native soil, I was usually not securing trees with dense root pads. I often had to improvise and try to come with something that would work for securing a tree with only a few little roots while not damaging what little I had. I will focus on learning new techniques for next years repots so I have a better bag of tricks.
4. Not all trees should be repotted as the buds swell. One of the first trees I repotted was a dwarf Sitka Spruce that had its buds swell very early. The repot went very well so far as I could tell, but I lost a few branches (fortunately I have gone slowly in pruning this tree and I still have a lot left to work with). At the last Bonsai Society of Portland meeting Scott Elser, an award winning bonsai artist, presented on his repotting techniques and shared some great info. Among his many great bits of info was the idea that with a deciduous repot, there is some leeway around timing. In the pic below, if the top of the arc is the moment buds begin to open, this is the time you can be the most aggressive, and you have time before and after when you can still do this work, but must be more cautious. With elongating species, such as hemlock, spruce, cedar, and fir, your repot should be done just as green begins to emerge from the buds for the best results. He said there is a lot less leeway before and after this. My guess is that if I had waited to repot my spruce until I saw green, I would have avoided the branch loss. Picture below is to help illustrate this idea.
7B22BFBE-DE04-4491-B34A-9974F166F9DD.jpegHe did not mention pines in this discussion, but I believe they fall more in line with deciduous in terms of bud swell to candle elongation. (Feel free to chime in on this!)
5. If I let the tree grow all season to bulk up, I will follow up with root work the following spring. There were a few trees, especially a root over rock trident, that I was letting run wild for the past two seasons to build the trunk. In this time some of the roots grew in less than ideal ways that will now take more time to correct. With the ROR trident this meant that there will be a gap between root and rock that I cannot correct, but if I had done root work last year as well, I could have placed it exactly where I would have liked it.
6. Problems don’t get easier to fix over time if left unchecked. As with that trident root, there were a number of trees I wish I had done root work on earlier in their lives. This is of course a natural part of learning this craft and we can’t go back in time, but I won’t make this mistake in the future. For deciduous trees that have vigorous root growth I will try alternating work each year between work on the canopy one year and root work the next.
7. Don’t wait to get trees into good soil! Not everything that I repotted went into a fully inorganic mix, but everything got into soil that will allow for a much better balance of water and oxygen. I collected a few vine maples last year that were mostly left in their collected clay, with pumice surrounding. The more pumice that was there, the more roots I had to work with. The trees left totally in clay had very little root mass, making securing them difficult, and likely meaning that they simply didn’t grow as well as they could have over the last year. Again, problems don’t fix themselves, and the earlier the tree has soil that promotes good growth in a container, the sooner we will reach our goals.
8. Learn the chopstick method of getting existing soil out of the root ball, and new soil back into the root mass. This was the technique that I learned from my mentor last year that really gave me the confidence to step deeper into repotting.
9. Sometimes things just don’t go the way you expect and we may or may not ever know why. One trident maple that I repotted as the buds swelled, that went as smoothly as any repot I’ve done, has shown no further signs of growth. No leaves, no nothing. If it doesn’t survive I’ll look at the roots again and see if I can find a reason. Sometimes despite our best work, things don’t go according to plan. That doesn’t mean you stop trying. More knowledge and more experience will hopefully bring more great results.

I hope some of this is helpful to people new to repotting, and I hope a lot more people offer what they’ve picked up this year. I’m sure I will learn a lot more from this experience as I watch each tree respond to the work done, and I will update this as time goes by and I have further realizations and deeper understanding of this process.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Josh

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really agree with #6. Having trees in different soils makes it really tough to water correctly. This is true even when that soil is a "good" one, but doubly so when it is of poor quality!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One thing I would add:
Make sure you plant deep enough to keep the nebari covered in soil. This is especially true of young plants and those just beginning training. Nebari does not need to be exposed until a bonsai is in the refinement stage.

Keeping the nebari covered and placing organic fertilizer on top of the nebari promotes fine root growth in that area. This is even more noticeable after the root ball has been cut back pretty hard.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I appreciate your thread, but could I ask for more specific information on the repotting from what you have learned? I would guess that the best time to repot would also be the best time to collect the species from the wild. I will list below the trees I might collect from the forests around here and then if you could tell me the best time, bud wise, to repot/collect the species it would be a great help to me.
1) Lodgepole pine
2) Ponderosa pine
3) Western larch
4) Whitebark pine(5 needle)

Thanks for help, Peter

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I appreciate your thread, but could I ask for more specific information on the repotting from what you have learned? I would guess that the best time to repot would also be the best time to collect the species from the wild. I will list below the trees I might collect from the forests around here and then if you could tell me the best time, bud wise, to repot/collect the species it would be a great help to me.
1) Lodgepole pine
2) Ponderosa pine
3) Western larch
4) Whitebark pine(5 needle)

Thanks for help, Peter
So I had been under the same impression from everything I had read until I talked with Randy Knight and Anton Nijhaus about this, and their advice was a bit different than what I expected. For most deciduous the ideal time seems to be in the spring at bud push as with repotting, but they both felt the best time to collect conifers is in the fall. Everything on your list aside from the western larch would be a fall collection according to this tip. That being said, the last two seasons I collected lodgepole pine, subalpine fir, and mountain hemlock here in the NW in the spring at bud push with great success. I will be collecting some this spring and fall and see if I can tell a difference in their response. The western larch is a deciduous conifer, and I did not ask specifically about larch so hopefully someone else can chime in based on their experience with this one. I think one caveat to the fall collection is that you may want to put them into a heat bed to stimulate root growth through the first winter.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
One thing I would add:
Make sure you plant deep enough to keep the nebari covered in soil. This is especially true of young plants and those just beginning training. Nebari does not need to be exposed until a bonsai is in the refinement stage.

Keeping the nebari covered and placing organic fertilizer on top of the nebari promotes fine root growth in that area. This is even more noticeable after the root ball has been cut back pretty hard.
This is a great tip and was discussed at another recent BSOP meeting by Dennis Vojtilla who is another award winning Oregon artist. Thank you for keeping the good tips coming!

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is one on my lessons learned that you will probably see referenced, referred to, or stated using various language on BN (some forms polite, some maybe not so much): There is a HUGE difference between “knowing” and experiencing.
[And I am not missing the irony that the only way to really know this is true is by experiencing it.]

This year I took three healthy field grown subalpine firs, I chopped, did initial styling, and re-potted one, and simply over potted the others with only minor cleaning (my yard is solid clay so I can’t put these in the ground). I did something similar with a pair of Whitebark pines (potted one but left the other in a grow box). The ones I did all the work too took a couple of extra weeks and show much slower spring growth than the ones I was ‘nicer’ to (actually still waiting with fingers crossed on the Whitebark).
Ok, so some may be saying: That goes in to the category of “no shit Sherlock”. But while I “knew” this kind of work would delay the plants progress, and had you asked I would have said I had a good grasp of it, actually experiencing it side by side with most variables removed was far more enlightening than I could possibly have imagined.

So my Lessons Learned From Repotting this year: Knowing is not a substitute for doing.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Here is one on my lessons learned that you will probably see referenced, referred to, or stated using various language on BN (some forms polite, some maybe not so much): There is a HUGE difference between “knowing” and experiencing.
[And I am not missing the irony that the only way to really know this is true is by experiencing it.]

This year I took three healthy field grown subalpine firs, I chopped, did initial styling, and re-potted one, and simply over potted the others with only minor cleaning (my yard is solid clay so I can’t put these in the ground). I did something similar with a pair of Whitebark pines (potted one but left the other in a grow box). The ones I did all the work too took a couple of extra weeks and show much slower spring growth than the ones I was ‘nicer’ to (actually still waiting with fingers crossed on the Whitebark).
Ok, so some may be saying: That goes in to the category of “no shit Sherlock”. But while I “knew” this kind of work would delay the plants progress, and had you asked I would have said I had a good grasp of it, actually experiencing it side by side with most variables removed was far more enlightening than I could possibly have imagined.

So my Lessons Learned From Repotting this year: Knowing is not a substitute for doing.
I think this step from knowing to doing is a big hurdle for a lot of people beginning in bonsai, who are afraid to open up a root system or cut back a 6 foot tree to a 4 inch stump. It has taken me a few years in the hobby to gain enough confidence to dive into root work on trees that I care a lot about and don't want to damage. The truth is there is nothing I can write here to share everything I learned and what it felt like to get my hands dirty with 40 different root systems this spring. So another lesson to add can be that we should read, read, and read some more, but make sure you take all that reading with you and go out and do it!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
This last year I discovered metal chopsticks... they are great! Better than root hooks that tear everything and better than wood chopsticks that break and are less rigid.
I haven't tried metal yet, but have a variety of sizes cut from bamboo. Do you have multiple widths of metal chopsticks or do you find one size meets all of your needs?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This last year I discovered metal chopsticks... they are great! Better than root hooks that tear everything and better than wood chopsticks that break and are less rigid.
Do a search on "metal root hook"--single claw. Easier and more effective than a metal chopstick or a root rake--three pronged root rakes are HORRIBLE for root work-even though they're included in a lot of bonsai tool sets...

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do a search on "metal root hook"--single claw. Easier and more effective than a metal chopstick or a root rake--three pronged root rakes are HORRIBLE for root work-even though they're included in a lot of bonsai tool sets...

I once had a bit of a difference of opinion during a bonsai presentation I attended. The presenter quite firmly insisted that one should use only wooden tools for root work; "wood on wood". While I appreciate the romance of that idea, my position (assumption) is that the lower friction of the metal should do less damage to roots and help preserve more of the fine feeder roots. I also think the steel is easier to clean so less likely to distribute disease and such to other trees. He really could not explain his reasoning beyond "wood on wood" so we decided to agree to disagree.
I would love to hear the opinion of the experienced folks on wood vs metal for root work.

I have a homemade metal root hook and cut my own 'chopsticks' out of chunks of bamboo. These are cheep and I can make them any size I might need from really thin for getting soil into roots of small trees to rather large for more aggressive tasks. And I use smaller chunks for things like marking prospective fronts, anchoring, etc. The uses for bamboo are virtually unlimited!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I once had a bit of a difference of opinion during a bonsai presentation I attended. The presenter quite firmly insisted that one should use only wooden tools for root work; "wood on wood". While I appreciate the romance of that idea, my position (assumption) is that the lower friction of the metal should do less damage to roots and help preserve more of the fine feeder roots. I also think the steel is easier to clean so less likely to distribute disease and such to other trees. He really could not explain his reasoning beyond "wood on wood" so we decided to agree to disagree.
I would love to hear the opinion of the experienced folks on wood vs metal for root work.

I have a homemade metal root hook and cut my own 'chopsticks' out of chunks of bamboo. These are cheep and I can make them any size I might need from really thin for getting soil into roots of small trees to rather large for more aggressive tasks. And I use smaller chunks for things like marking prospective fronts, anchoring, etc. The uses for bamboo are virtually unlimited!
That's among the sillier bits of "advice" I've heard. wood on wood? Does he use wooden shears or pruners to work his trees? I've never seen wooden scissors, they must be a bitch to keep sharp....:rolleyes:;);)

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Bonsai experts at their finest.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have read or heard someone said Bamboo chopstick is better because it more flexible so it doesn't damage the roots. I say use what you have as I can't see how metal or wood chopsticks can really hurt the roots.
I did a lot of repot this Spring. You will gain a lot of confident on how much you can take off and the tree will do fine.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the metal single prawn roothook. I do not use multiple sizes, as I do not aim at removing everything, but just the bulk.
For me, I woudl prefer to repot, decide the pot I will need next time. then repot in an unsuitable plastic tub, and next round have the right pot for the tree waiting. I find that having multiple pots will always result in not having the right pot..

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
In my 20 odd years in Horticulture and the nursery trade I haven’t done much work on the roots of trees. Mostly up-potting lol.
So with that said, experiencing cutting and choosing which roots to keep has been a learning curve. Like, I have read on this site, that deciduous trees can have a decent root chop, but I haven’t read much here that most species take way longer to wake up and get growing if you cut too many roots and don’t leave enough feeders ( as the tree needs to grow roots first). So I have to learn to take it slower, as in leave more roots, so to do this work over a few seasons.
Patience is key, and my nursery crops are ready in 3-24 months, not 5-20 years ?.
Great thread also, Charles

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This spring I have encountered deadwood/shari that ran right into the root mass. I had to cut that away to avoid accelerating decomposition, and dealing with trees that had 3 different root levels. Some of the old nursery trees that have been up potted as @KiwiPlantGuy mentioned have multiple levels of roots, so it becomes of question of which root system to choose.

Top Bottom