Let me try this one more time

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I still think there is hope at this forum, and I'm not giving up this easy. I truly think there are some people here that want to learn, I think they think they are doing it right, but not, but don't know any different.

So a couple years ago I had a guy on this forum that was being a real pain in the ass to me. He felt I "owed" him or something, I finally got pissed off because he was not getting it and explained how to reduce his tree down to just straight lines. Take them down to just the line of the tree. At that point one can see the diss-array of the branches, how they come off the trunk all jacked up.

So now you all get to learn a new Keppler secret that I do only in my backyard with people that don't get it.

I understand that the Ryan video series was really a stink bomb with some people. I get it, you like it and you feel it is wonderful and you are learning things. So in the spirit of the Ryan Videos or not, I know there are a lot here that do not take the service and there are many that still think they are doing bonsai.

Fine, everyone here wants to see trees, post your best tree, and self critique it. I do this with every tree I pick up in my backyard and begin pruning. I have a keeper pile and a seller pile. Be honest and put your tree out there and critique the thing like its some guy you don't even know and can hide behind that cool screen name you have here. Explain what it is you see good and what you see bad, what you can fix and what is unfixable. If this was your tree would you continue spending money on it or would you tell the guy to get better material? You self diagnose your own stuff. This exercise will scare the Hell out of you. It will force to to come to realizations that you may not be ready to handle yet. I want to see just how well some of you handle the attacks good or bad on your own stuff. It's not fun being real with yourself.

Who wants to go first?
Just for a more fun exercise, post it to separate threads so all the commentary after you post your tree and self critique it can be opened to the forum for further ideas, maybe someone else sees something you don't see. Fun Huh?

Last edited:

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will because all my trees are currently bad.

20180519_125732.jpg

This one is my favorite but I struggle with the fact that it doesn't look like a bonsai. I should cut it back but I really like the large mass of foliage and the askew branches and I spend a lot of time looking at it and fussing over it. And I'm really looking forward to what I hear is a spectacular fall color.

I'm hoping that if I can work it long enough that it will eventually take on some nice ramification and at least have good structure but it is never going to look like an old, mature tree in miniature because unless my tastes change I like it as is too much.

(BTW, that pic is a couple months old. That tree doesn't have wire anymore.)

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple but this maybe my best.
It's a mugo I picked up last year. I gave it its first styling.
This year it went into this pot.
I need to get that jinned branch down some more.
I have some roots poking up some in the rear. The tree has been tipped forward to make it more upright. Next report I'll be able to work the roots down into the pot hopefully
Its grown like mad and it's fairly dense. I'll be cutting needles off the top and bottom of the limbs to let some light in.
It looks like there's a straight section in the trunk from this angle. Its bending toward the viewer and there isn't really much to do about this problem.
It needs some more wiring to make everything just right.
And moving forward I'll be cutting shoots for back budding,more tertiary branching,and needle reduction.
20180721_124533.jpg
One right after wiring last year.20170916_154042.jpg

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I still think there is hope at this forum, and I'm not giving up this easy. I truly think there are some people here that want to learn, I think they think they are doing it right, but not, but don't know any different.

So a couple years ago I had a guy on this forum that was being a real pain in the ass to me. He felt I "owed" him or something, I finally got pissed off because he was not getting it and explained how to reduce his tree down to just straight lines. Take them down to just the line of the tree. At that point one can see the diss-array of the branches, how they come off the trunk all jacked up.

So now you all get to learn a new Keppler secret that I do only in my backyard with people that don't get it.

I understand that the Ryan video series was really a stink bomb with some people. I get it, you like it and you feel it is wonderful and you are learning things. So in the spirit of the Ryan Videos or not, I know there are a lot here that do not take the service and there are many that still think they are doing bonsai.

Fine, everyone here wants to see trees, post your best tree, and self critique it. I do this with every tree I pick up in my backyard and begin pruning. I have a keeper pile and a seller pile. Be honest and put your tree out there and critique the thing like its some guy you don't even know and can hide behind that cool screen name you have here. Explain what it is you see good and what you see bad, what you can fix and what is unfixable. If this was your tree would you continue spending money on it or would you tell the guy to get better material? You self diagnose your own stuff. This exercise will scare the Hell out of you. It will force to to come to realizations that you may not be ready to handle yet. I want to see just how well some of you handle the attacks good or bad on your own stuff. It's not fun being real with yourself.

Who wants to go first?
Just for a more fun exercise, post it to separate threads so all the commentary after you post your tree and self critique it can be opened to the forum for further ideas, maybe someone else sees something you don't see. Fun Huh?

Great idea. I will be posting a Trident that I bought on eBay. It was pitiful but after being planted in some descent medium and a little TLC it is thriving. Now I need to know which way to go. Tomorrow.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ahhhhhh crap!
He did.
As far as my reading comprehension goes, it seems like he wants both.
He wants to tell you the truth on this thread and have you contrast that with the BS you get from others on your own thread.
Al, please correct me if I'm wrong.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He wants to tell you the truth on this thread and have you contrast that with the BS you get from others on your own thread.
I already know the truth.
I already started a thread on this tree once.
In fact I just updated it.
Dont know how to post links to other threads.
He must skip over the mugo stuff or I've finally made it to the ignoramus list.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I already know the truth.
I already started a thread on this tree once.
In fact I just updated it.
Dont know how to post links to other threads.
He must skip over the mugo stuff or I've finally made it to the ignoramus list.
Lol!
I doubt you're listed, haha!
Its a great little Mugo Mike, I wish I could wire mine without killing 90% of it...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a great little Mugo Mike, I wish I could wire mine without killing 90% of it...
My problem is I didnt leave some wire on quite long enough.
I worry about mark's so I took it off a touch early. I'm going to need to do it all over again.
My first and nicest pine so I erred with caution.
My Scots held with the wire on for the same amount of time.
That tells me those grow faster than mugo pines.
Something learned again by experience. Something I never heard mentioned before.
Still learning on my own.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wait
He said post it in a separate thread.
Right?
Love this idea.
Yes, he did! And a reason why to go with it.
Who wants to go first?

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Also so far it seems that what the owners have to say about their tree is not very truthful. You have to get down and dirty and explain the flaws. I see people on here all the time listing what’s wrong with other people’s trees. You have to look at your own tree objectively. It’s the only way to move it forward.... unless moving it forward is not what you want to do... or your not capable of moving it forward.... or you don’t see any forward in the tree.

I said be honest. That’s the only way this works. You guys know what looks good and what doesn’t. Have the cahones to look with in your self and develop a wanting to improve.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Also so far it seems that what the owners have to say about their tree is not very truthful. You have to get down and dirty and explain the flaws. I see people on here all the time listing what’s wrong with other people’s trees. You have to look at your own tree objectively. It’s the only way to move it forward.... unless moving it forward is not what you want to do... or your not capable of moving it forward.... or you don’t see any forward in the tree.

I said be honest. That’s the only way this works. You guys know what looks good and what doesn’t. Have the cahones to look with in your self and develop a wanting to improve.
I will be eager to see your participation in this, both of your own tree, and others who choose to put up their best.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I will be eager to see your participation in this, both of your own tree, and others who choose to put up their best.

Me too. Since I started the thread I get to reserve judgement about whether the forum is going to participate as needed. You and I have plenty of threads here showing progression and how our trees have been improved. Our trees get worked on a continual basis. My trees are an open book here. I will indeed put up one of my trees and give a very honest critique of my own tree.

Top Bottom