Lets do a merger!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
BonsaiNut and BonsaiChat would be getting the better end of the deal if they partnered with BonsaiTalk and BonsaiSite, but the larger sites usually have no interest in doing so.

I have to disagree here :) The only thing that some of these other sites have is higher traffic. I am not of the opinion that bigger communities are always better. I prefer a smaller community with a different experience base, plus I happen to prefer the way this site is organized. :) If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I am flattered that these larger sites have changed some of their features to be more like us, and not the other way around :)

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have to disagree here :) The only thing that some of these other sites have is higher traffic. I am not of the opinion that bigger communities are always better. I prefer a smaller community with a different experience base, plus I happen to prefer the way this site is organized. :) If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I am flattered that these larger sites have changed some of their features to be more like us, and not the other way around :)

In a partnership, your smaller community would not add much to theirs though. I didn't say that their community is better or worse, I said they would get the least amount of benefit from a partnership because of the standard goals of a forum partnership. They could easily create a sub-community of more experienced bonsai artists that is closed off from the rest of the forum (and they may have). They could cater to the most experienced artists and really try to market to them. What I've been trying to say in most of my posts in this thread is that a smaller community with a different experience base can easily be created within a larger community using forum technology (private forums, invitation only, etc.). I've done it. I don't necessarily promote it, because in my experience with creating these small communities, they become closed off to the rest of the forum and basically keep to their selves. When faced with the decision on whether a new community should be created or just a sub-community, I take the sub-community option first. It's better if they are still around just in case they want to venture out of their own sub-forums. Most others create their own forum though, because they want to run it like they think it should be run.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree, which is exactly why I used generalities and named no names.

Will

Good , then you should have no problem with thinking of AofB as a spinoff of bonsaiTALK.

Thats the way I see it!:eek:

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
Will,
Your absolutely right, their are some wonderful artists emerging and ones that I am just now discovering. The Robert Steven critiques are outstanding and he really amazes me with his artistic abilities. I havent been into the artists and history as of late but I am really starting to learn more about the exciting evolution that is emerging in bonsai. This truly is an exciting time. I do miss Harry's posts, however, his website has been like a bible to me, and I consider his contributions invaluable to beginning enthusiasts and advanced hobbyist alike. As of Walter, I have yet to meet him, but I heard he might be coming here for the 2008 bonsai exhibitions. So I will keep my fingers crossed:eek:

Top Bottom