Lets go collect an Elm!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The issue with trunk chops, even on a fast growing elm, is being able to create believable taper using the technique. Yeah, you can chop it to the ground if you want. Elms are extremely tough customers. They can take all manner of abuse and recover strongly.

But, the issue is going to be the diameter of the trunk that's left behind and the time it will take to grow a leader out that will come close to matching it. The bigger the trunk, the longer it will take. With some species, like alot of boxwood, trunks over three inches in diameter can't be matched by leaders in the owner's lifetime. A Siberian elm can probably do that in a few years, BUT that's only the first segment in the new leader. New leaders are built using repeated trunk chops, that graduate in diameter as they go up, like an extended old-time telescope.

Also, be aware that Siberian elm is notorious for dropping limbs, for no real reason, as a landscape tree. It can do the same as bonsai.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
is this one alive?
It's had a hard time But it's still alive. It's 3/4 deadwood now with one branch left growing up top.
Voles ate the bark 3/4 of the way around,almost all of the way up.
I'll take a picture when I get time Max. I still might be able to make something of it.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's had a hard time But it's still alive. It's 3/4 deadwood now with one branch left growing up top.
Voles ate the bark 3/4 of the way around,almost all of the way up.
I'll take a picture when I get time Max. I still might be able to make something of it.

God awful voles! I am glad that the only time I saw one in my yard, my mutt killed it in a hurry!

Top Bottom