Lets go collect an Elm!

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Great thread. I just learned how to "watch this thread" so it's in my watch list. I will watch it till it becomes a great bonsai. I first heard of trunk chop on this tree/thread so I can't wait to see the progress.

Few questions: When did you chop those new leaders, few days ago? You do this at the end of summer or at the start of the spring?
Great progress indeed.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes. Cut them back this spring. I dug it out last spring. It has only been a year.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok. What about some that cut them back in late summer? What is the difference?
It does grow surprisingly fast!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I need to do is ask the farmers that own the property. Most will probably say yes.

@klosi , Glad you are here for this.

You know, that just makes me think, whoever said you can't mention Bonsai to people, or dollar signs will flash in their head, and all that B.S. it is HOOEY!

Every one I've spoken with in regards to taking a tree has thought bonsai was a juniper, or otherwise don't know about it at all!

And I haven't gotten a straight NO yet. They are too intrigued. I had a guy tell me to send him pics once.

Klosi, I know how you feel about that Juniper. I've felt like that about 3-4 Trees, or parts of trees to A/L, and 2 weeks later, they are gone.

Just gotta ask quick.

Or get a real big dude drunk as hell and have him fall on that planter so your prize pops out, and run with it!

Just venting, I'm never hesitating to ask again. Cuz stuff disappears!

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok. What about some that cut them back in late summer? What is the difference?
It does grow surprisingly fast!

As the tree gets older I will have to cut it Bach more often during the year. Right now I'm just building branch structure.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know, that just makes me think, whoever said you can't mention Bonsai to people, or dollar signs will flash in their head, and all that B.S. it is HOOEY!
Was out driving around. Well I was working and came across some more Hawthorns in a field near the powerlines. I'm always looking you know. Anyways I went to the house but nobody was home. I knew I wasn't going to be in the area for a while to ask again so I left a note. It explained who I was and that I wondered if they wouldn't mind if I dug some of those twisted up hawthorns out there. I left my number and also explained that I wanted the trees for bonsai. This was about a month ago when I could still dig some trees. Well nobody called and I actually forgot about it. Come last weekend my phone rang with a strange number. I answered and it was the lady that owns the property that the trees sit on. She said I was welcome to as many as I wanted to come and get. She is a school teacher and knew exactly what I was doing.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
@klosi , Glad you are here for this.

... whoever said you can't mention Bonsai to people, or dollar signs will flash in their head, and all that B.S. it is HOOEY!
I'm not here for this :p :D
No I know what you mean and I agree. On the part who mentioned this... I think it was Walter Pall :) But still he's experiences may be with other people, slightly different culture...

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok I see. But so you have to build the brqanch structure in a way that you prune more "upstairs" and leave lower shoots to extend (and with this become thicker) more? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I just want to try this one day...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I know what you're asking.
Last year after the stump showed a lot of vigor I chose the branches I wanted for my tree. The stump had sprouted a bunch of branches but I only needed these for a plan I had for the tree. I wired them for some movementioned and after a couple weeks the wire came off I let those grow grow freely all last year. This spring when the tree started showing signs of waking up. I cut those back to where you see now. I used the little side branches that were growing lower on the main branches as the next section of my main branches. This will give the main branches taper and movement.
When these thicken up to where the are about 1/2 to 2/3 the diameter of the main branch I will then cut those back again. This will more than likely be around mid to late summer. At that point the main or primary branch structure will be set. The primary branches are the large ones. And since this such a prolific grower I will also be working on the trees secondary branching. These are the ones growing out from the main branches. I will be wiring them for movement,letting them grow to thickness,cutting them back for taper then then it will basically clip and grow from there on out as this is much easier than trying to wire the fine branching it will have by then. I imagine some time next summer.
I hope this helps you to understand what I'm trying to do here.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes this helps me a lot. I hope everything will go according to plan, and when anything new happens please post some pics :) Good luck

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry. 7 weeks. I didn't take a picture before I cut it back. It was just a blob of green anyway. But after another cut back it looks like this today. I cut it back 2 weeks ago. Now let it grow another week or so,cut out everything I don't need and do some more baby bending.2015-07-14 11.36.32.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are there four main branches attached to the trunk? I was thinking that the branch on the upper left in the photo was really two branches and the camera view wrapped them together.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are there four main branches attached to the trunk? I was thinking that the branch on the upper left in the photo was really two branches and the camera view wrapped them together.
Yep. 4 branches 3 up top and that one coming out the side.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would always check or ask before collecting. Years ago, a woman in the local bonsai club got charged with illegal logging for digging a couple of tiny larches. Turns out she was on a Reservation, and the Rez police weren't feeling to charitable that day.

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
I was wondering when this thread will be updated, thanks ;) Looks like it's coming along pretty good.
So as I understand you are satisfied with the thickness of the new leader (left branch I presume)? Or will this elm have more then one main trunk?
Please post the pic when the leaves drop off in autumn, that would be intereseting to see :)
Is the pot chinese? Who is the potter? :p

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's the picture of one chopped last year. It did grow taller but the deer gave me some help this winter. It will get chopped back to about 3" tall and let grow out this season and then choppy choppy again.
Would you chop the larger main trunk down to 3" or are you referring to just that new leader section?
Just as a question then....Can I larger trunk, like 3"-4", be cut down to a 3"-4" height? Assume good healthy roots, ground growing and the tree is growing well now. Will a new trunk line, the new leader, will quickly grow and take over as a trunk?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you chop the larger main trunk down to 3" or are you referring to just that new leader section?
Just as a question then....Can I larger trunk, like 3"-4", be cut down to a 3"-4" height? Assume good healthy roots, ground growing and the tree is growing well now. Will a new trunk line, the new leader, will quickly grow and take over as a trunk?
You can cut an elm as low as you want. I leave the top cut open in order for it to bud at the cut. Pick one and let it grow. I get 3 to 4 feet in a collander here with my short growing season. If left in the ground I can imagine 6 feet of growth. It will thicken up much faster in the ground. At least 2 years to catch up to a 4 inch cut.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least 2 years to catch up to a 4 inch cut.
Do you mean to say that a 4inch cut wil heal in 2 years? (I have a half inch cut that I am worried about making, as it is the front of the tree. If it would heal over in such short time though..)

Top Bottom