Lets Play - Bonsai Nut Styles My Zelkova!

jeef16

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey BNutters, recently the trunk chop on my chinese elm finally budded. I set an initial leader but since I can't decide on what I want to do with all the extra budding, I decided to let bonsai nut make the choice for me! You can submit any changes or styles you'd like to see it in and vote on it! here are some pics of the tree. The first few images show the tree from the nursery. I did the chop in early march and it took until the first week of august to start budding. Anyone know why? But the tree is pushing a lot of growth. I wired a leader after letting it grow out, and you can see the budding it's shooting out . I put the tree on an angle for the wiring but that's up to you to change! Another idea is to bring one of those buddings (in it's full branch form" to the left side of the tree for an approach graft to create a low down primary branch on the left side. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_7574.jpg
    IMG_7574.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7575.jpg
    IMG_7575.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8332.jpg
    IMG_8332.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8351.jpg
    IMG_8351.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8331.jpg
    IMG_8331.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8330.jpg
    IMG_8330.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 70

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would carve the stump at an angle to get some taper going, and then grow that leader until happy with the transition thickness. Then chop again.

jeef16

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would carve the stump at an angle to get some taper going, and then grow that leader until happy with the transition thickness. Then chop again.
yea the angle chop always comes after the horizontal chop. I wanted it to recover some vigor before I do any more work, as well as decide if I'm going to do any approach grafting before I chop. Not sure if you can tell but on the left side of the chop there was actually a branch budding up, you can see the new tissue forming. I cut it off carelessly and realized that was not really a great choice to do since that couldve been a primary branch. So approach grafting a new budding branch onto the left side would not only replace it, but replace it lower down on the trunk which could be good. I think the biggest issue with the tree right now is that the nebari is hidden, and the entire container is about 60lbs of roots and dirt. You can see the sheer thiccness of the roots from where I trimmed the top of the nursery container. Next spring I'm going to bust out the sawzall to carve this baby up like a turkey. That way the nebari can be included in the design choices. I'm probably going to post updates starting from next season every few weeks to get the forum's opinion on where it should go from there. I like the idea of a crowdsourced styled tree

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Zelkova =\= Chinese elm

And I think you need to let it grow for at least a couple years until that leader is an inch or two larger in diameter for right now. Then decide on style, which informal upright will probably be the best fit.

Top Bottom