Let's Play "Name This Pest"...

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Found these tonight on the little rubber tree in my open terrarium. Sorry for the low res picture. They look like little yellowy-white oval shaped aphid like bugs. Any guesses. More importantly what do you recommend for giving these guys the bum's rush? I guess they hitched a ride from the nursery.

Attachments

• bugs.jpg
    bugs.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 85

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Here's a slightly better one.

Attachments

• bugs2.jpg
    bugs2.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 83

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These my friend, seem to be the bane of the indoor grower. Spider mites.

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Guess I'll treat with diluted rubbing alcohol/dish soap and see that happens- those seem to be common denominators amongst the solutions I've run into online.

Kind of makes me think of that episode of South Park where they all get head lice. :( *gulp*

Attachments

• sp.gif
    sp.gif
    200.2 KB · Views: 52

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll name him Albert.

Dunt look like a mite gathering to me. If it were, that alcohol won't do much but get the plants drunk! They'll have a place to hide.

If the soil is tamped well, you could flood the tank for a day. Or just fill it really slow if it's not.

These look like the little yellow fellers that frequent hackberry. I hate them worse then mites.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These look like the little yellow fellers that frequent hackberry. I hate them worse then mites.
🤬 yeeeah... those jerks make me “go back” on my “non-chemical pursuits.

Also, I’ve said it before, but I LOVE the “dunking idea” for mites.

🤓

I’ve had SOME results with insecticidal (homemade) soaps.. and NEEM oils....

But the best thing I did (Regarding pests, mites specifically, ONCE they had seasonally “taken hold” (Infestation-style.. HARD!) and I was still getting accustomed to “how” to deal with them... was a full “restart”.. using lime or systemic.. and THEN proceeded with the UTMOST attention to my trees‘ health/any special needs...

Health is a GREAT “deterrent” (sometimes 🤣)... don’t want them resembling distressed seals for those “sharks” of indoor pests.

😃

Last edited:

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, I’ve said it before, but I LOVE the “dunking idea” for mites.

I had ants start a colony in one of my larger orchids once. I found them when I stuck the pot under the kitchen faucet and wondered where all the ants came from! I ended up setting the pot in the bath tub and filling it until the soil was completely under water. Holy shit the ants!!! I wish I would have taken pictures but I was too busy trying to keep them from climbing out of the tub...ants float! Hundreds of them were carrying eggs as they fled!

So yes, soaking works...but be wary of the consequences ;) Mites won't be able to flee in the same way...but if the little buggers can fly???

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had ants start a colony in one of my larger orchids once. I found them when I stuck the pot under the kitchen faucet and wondered where all the ants came from! I ended up setting the pot in the bath tub and filling it until the soil was completely under water. Holy shit the ants!!! I wish I would have taken pictures but I was too busy trying to keep them from climbing out of the tub...ants float! Hundreds of them were carrying eggs as they fled!

So yes, soaking works...but be wary of the consequences ;) Mites won't be able to flee in the same way...but if the little buggers can fly???
Hehe!! I’m also wary of drowning centi/millipedes.. those are my friends..🤣

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hehe!! I’m also wary of drowning centi/millipedes.. those are my friends..🤣
A tank like that is going to be hard to treat without collateral damage :( In the lower left that looks like a fly trap? That guy probably won't take well to being submerged for long.

The pics are pretty close up, there may be logs and other things that might float as well. I'm not sure how one would go about fogging such a small container, but that might be the best bet. There are tons of places for pests to hide from sprays or wipes. Systemics would be risky to me too in such an ecosystem :(

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
I just planted about a week ago. The roots are probably not established enough to handle anything like that. I'm going to try to spot treat. If it gets out of hand I may look into Neem or pyrethrin options...

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A tank like that is going to be hard to treat without collateral damage :( In the lower left that looks like a fly trap? That guy probably won't take well to being submerged for long.

The pics are pretty close up, there may be logs and other things that might float as well. I'm not sure how one would go about fogging such a small container, but that might be the best bet. There are tons of places for pests to hide from sprays or wipes. Systemics would be risky to me too in such an ecosystem :(
Agreed... I dislike systemics..... but they worked as a nice “mulligan” for me.. before I knew how do deal with seasonal pests. I was GOING to lose the battle.. needed nuclear reinforcements... now I focus more on “preventative practice” for my “troops”.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just planted about a week ago. The roots are probably not established enough to handle anything like that. I'm going to try to spot treat. If it gets out of hand I may look into Neem or pyrethrin options...
NEEM has worked for me.. for occasional “outbreaks” 🤣... but there is a balance..

@sorce has pretty specific opinions on NEEM applications that I’m sure he’ll share. ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neem is for Method Man's rash in How High.

Neem is the first shit they started selling to "greenies", now that everyone is a greenie, Neem sales are up, but it's still useless.

If your momma smelled like Neem, someone may actually love her.

Mites Drink Neem like Irishmen Drink at a Pub.

Neem backwards is mean, so Neem also can't spell.

The guy who named Neem, was actually just saying Near, but had a stroke halfway through the word.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Neem is for Method Man's rash in How High.

Neem is the first shit they started selling to "greenies", now that everyone is a greenie, Neem sales are up, but it's still useless.

If your momma smelled like Neem, someone may actually love her.

Mites Drink Neem like Irishmen Drink at a Pub.

Neem backwards is mean, so Neem also can't spell.

The guy who named Neem, was actually just saying Near, but had a stroke halfway through the word.

Sorce
There she “blows”.

🤣

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With a photo like this it's impossible to tell what it is. Therefore it's unclear whether you need to do anything (is it even a pest?) or what you should do.
ID then treat.

You are aware that Venus fly traps need a cold dormant period in winter?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nah spider mites aren't that big and they usually don't attack waxy leaf plants.
Thrips is possible, look for silver/grey spots on the foliage.

I'm a fan of neem. But one needs to know how to use it for it to be effective.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤷‍♀️
Hard to tell. Maybe post a better picture. For now, I am with mites

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
If it is spider mites the infestation is low. Neem with soap will work. Don't buy premixe. Buy 100% cold pressed neem and mix with an environmentally safe soap like Dr. Bronners.

I was also thinking aphid larvae. Definitely need close up focused pics.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found a couple of these cocoon like things on my spruce this summer. Name that pest?IMG_20200803_092307202_21544.jpg

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And this thing... Wtf?IMG_20200718_112035164_20594.jpgIMG_20200718_111940861_20593.jpg

Top Bottom