Let's try to style a juniper

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This may or may not work and I reserve the right to not follow suggestions if I think it's the right thing to do or if it takes too long for people to decide. I can't leave this in the workshop for too long. That being said how about trying to come up with a style for this old San Jose juniper.
file_zps86db6e1d.jpg

file_zps20630c9c.jpg

As you can see the inner branching is not that great- lots of straight pencil thick or thicker branches with not a lot of foliage close to the trunk.

file_zpsf22fb962.jpg

I cleaned up the deadwood a little and cut off and jinned one major branch that I knew would not be used. I created new shari where old branches had been cut and the sap had started to withdraw. I think this will help people see the trunk and live and dead wood better. I also lime sulphured the old and new deadwood to make it stand out a little. Here are some shoots of several possible fronts.

file_zps501e39d1.jpg

The L/S greyed the old deadwood so it may be a little hard to see it at the bottom left side of the trunk above and right side below.
file_zpsa85acc33.jpg

file_zps3a080876.jpg

file_zps8743ebaa.jpg

file_zpsc70f2172.jpg

Last one.
file_zps35d0502c.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Side #4. seems like a no brainer too me. Trust me, being a no-brainer myself should account for something.

ed

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Another nice piece of stock. For me it's a toss up between 1 and 2. The trunk movement and angle with both options is more dynamic then any of the others, and I'm seeing a very nice dropped branch that mimics the angle of the trunk from those 2 fronts.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
#2 esp the original 2nd pic...but the best branch for it is already gone & jinned. :(

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The branch I cut off was more then a little bit heavy. The branch above can fill any purpose that may have had. Lets work with what is left. I'll wait until tomorrow around 10 my time then we'll pick the front based on your opinions----maybe :cool:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good trunk movement at #2. Don't know if I would tip it up as much as shown. Hard to tell from the photos, but the base looks thin there.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good trunk movement at #2. Don't know if I would tip it up as much as shown. Hard to tell from the photos, but the base looks thin there.

Might look that way because its hard to see the deadwood at the base- the L/S made it really grey. Though it is not as wide as the others. It doesn't have reverse taper is is shouldn't be an issue. Here it is after it dried and tipped less.
file_zps6c671e42.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Still working on learning photoshop, but here is a thought from that angle...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 79

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmmm a levitating juniper...... I think that's kind of roughly how it'll look from any of the fronts. It's a little limiting when all the foliage is coming from the top.
Anybody else got any ideas?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Can you tighten up any of the trunk bends? Jack/rebar/guy-wire to compact it some?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I more then likely could, some anyhow, but don't know if it's worth all that work, but we'll see.
Can you expound on that idea a little more?

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just exaggerating the exiting bends a little to compact the overall shape, and a little more interest to the movement.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmm a levitating juniper...... I think that's kind of roughly how it'll look from any of the fronts. It's a little limiting when all the foliage is coming from the top.
Anybody else got any ideas?

I'd like to see that lowest branch pulled down toward the trunk to create one large mass of foliage by itself, and then have the rest of the canopy built above it...sorry...no photo shop.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just exaggerating the exiting bends a little to compact the overall shape, and a little more interest to the movement.

I think I could get close to the same effect with a little changing of the angle and trunkline with a lot less work. Most of the existing bends have deadwood on or right next to them. It would be possible to put a little movement in those places and a bit more in the rest of the trunk but I'm not sure it'll add that much. I'll give it another look after we pick a front.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd like to see that lowest branch pulled down toward the trunk to create one large mass of foliage by itself, and then have the rest of the canopy built above it...sorry...no photo shop.

More then likely some form of this or another will be done in any case. It's a good way to lessen the fact that all the foliage comes from the top and to frame the lower part of the trunk. It also lets us lower the upper foliage and compacting the height a little.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Bob, what great access to some really fine stock as usual! ;)

I like front 5 myself. Nice sturdy base, nice deadwood and movement. But it looks like I'm in the minority lol

Top Bottom