Leyland cypress decision

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In my yard I have two Leyland cypress that are in terrible shape due to storm and damage from mower. I definitely want to remove them. Tell me your choice.

1. Dig them up and turn them into bonsai. I know it's not a good species for bonsai. I just want to use the trees to practice collecting and later bending large trunks.
2. Air layer the tops and replant them somewhere else in the yard.20190105_085659.jpg20190105_081910.jpg20190105_085717.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm all in favor of trying to air layer them before they become firewood. It can't do much harm to try!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If I turn them into bonsai, they will just be for practice. Sooner or later they will be thrown out. I figure a bit of trunk forming practice will be good.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
These are so log straight, that no amount of carving will make the trunks interesting. Go ahead and try. But your time would be better spent elsewhere. Air layering, again, try, it might work, it might not. You really want a Leyland cypress to work on? They actually are not the worst for bonsai, but there are other, better choices.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
These are so log straight, that no amount of carving will make the trunks interesting. Go ahead and try. But your time would be better spent elsewhere. Air layering, again, try, it might work, it might not. You really want a Leyland cypress to work on? They actually are not the worst for bonsai, but there are other, better choices.
No. Just to practice bending the trunks severely without breaking. I have no intention to keep them.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No. Just to practice bending the trunks severely without breaking. I have no intention to keep them.
Then just stick some wire on them where they are now,, then bend them.

Heck, bend them until they break! Then you’ll know how far you can bend Leland cypress.

Which won’t really help you with any other kind of tree. All junipers are a bit different. But you’ll know how far you can bend a Leyland! And you won’t have to waste time air layering.

Top Bottom