Leyland Cypress Styling

headive24

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. I bought this at a nursery where it had been moved to the back and not cared for. There were about 4 others that were dead, but this one showed new growth so i was interested. The trunk has movement at the very bottom, as well as some dead wood. With only some pruning, minimal wire work, and a little brushing of the deadwood this is what it looks like. It brings to mind Literati, but have never seen one with multiple trunks. I am considering cutting off a trunk, but idk kind of like the way it looks now. I do plan on doing some more wiring for sure. BTW i bouht it during winter about 3 months ago, and since it is showing health and new growth. What would you guys do if this were your tree? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20190407_111208802 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190407_111208802 (1).jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20190407_111218973.jpg
    IMG_20190407_111218973.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20190407_111223724.jpg
    IMG_20190407_111223724.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20190407_111251073.jpg
    IMG_20190407_111251073.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 109

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting. I like it, but not sure I would even call it bonsai, yet. Pre-bonsai, yes.

At least a few photos should be taken with the camera lens level with the rim of the pot. So one can see how it would look in a bonsai display.

Literati is a difficult style to create. A tree being sparse is not enough. It needs to project a sense of age, and struggle against the elements. This "ain't there yet".

But it is interesting. I would leave it grow and recover this year with out pruning off anything more. Hopefully you will get some foliage back buds to pop in the right places.

It needs to follow a theme, a coherent force such as wind would make repeating patterns of damage. Let it grow and contemplate it's future. It is interesting enough it caught my eye.

Later this year, post a new set of photos, from rim of pot level, 4 sides, or a video of it being rotated.

headive24

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I like it, but not sure I would even call it bonsai, yet. Pre-bonsai, yes.

At least a few photos should be taken with the camera lens level with the rim of the pot. So one can see how it would look in a bonsai display.

Literati is a difficult style to create. A tree being sparse is not enough. It needs to project a sense of age, and struggle against the elements. This "ain't there yet".

But it is interesting. I would leave it grow and recover this year with out pruning off anything more. Hopefully you will get some foliage back buds to pop in the right places.

It needs to follow a theme, a coherent force such as wind would make repeating patterns of damage. Let it grow and contemplate it's future. It is interesting enough it caught my eye.

Later this year, post a new set of photos, from rim of pot level, 4 sides, or a video of it being rotated.

I agree that it is not yet bonsai. And thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing about letting it grow for now. I have learned from some of my past mistakes not to cut anything until i am sure i know it is a good decision. There is very much vibrancy and growth so far this season. Also, the upper portions of each "trunk" are very flexible, so I am considering wiring to produce some more interesting bends and angles. Any thoughts on the three trunks? i cant quite decide how i feel about that. Anyway, thanks for responding, i do appreciate it

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. I bought this at a nursery where it had been moved to the back and not cared for. There were about 4 others that were dead, but this one showed new growth so i was interested. The trunk has movement at the very bottom, as well as some dead wood. With only some pruning, minimal wire work, and a little brushing of the deadwood this is what it looks like. It brings to mind Literati, but have never seen one with multiple trunks. I am considering cutting off a trunk, but idk kind of like the way it looks now. I do plan on doing some more wiring for sure. BTW i bouht it during winter about 3 months ago, and since it is showing health and new growth. What would you guys do if this were your tree? Thank you
That doesn't look like Leyland cypress to me. Looks like arborvitae.

Top Bottom