Light for rooting juniper cuttings

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have some cuttings from a Blue Chip Juniper. I dipped them in rooting hormone and placed them a covered seed starting tray with holes poked in the top for ventilation. How much sun/shade do these need? If they get direct sun will they cook in that covered tray? I would place them in the shade but I figure they need some light, correct? Also, could I place them under a grow light instead for a cooler source of light?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I dip in hormone, stick in an uncovered tray of pumice, keep in partial shade and they get a bit of watering until I see some new growth. Then full sun.

In my hot summer climate, I usually get roots and new growth up top in 3-4 months.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While a set up like this is beneficial for deciduous cuttings, I find it unnecessary for junipers. Take cuttings in early spring, March and April for me. Last year's extensions work best. I plant in pumice fines and keep under a picnic table where they get only morning sunshine, then shade all day. When they show new growth I move them to full morning sunshine, shade by noon position for the rest of the season. Next year they are good to go and get potted up to bigger pumice.

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
While a set up like this is beneficial for deciduous cuttings, I find it unnecessary for junipers. Take cuttings in early spring, March and April for me. Last year's extensions work best. I plant in pumice fines and keep under a picnic table where they get only morning sunshine, then shade all day. When they show new growth I move them to full morning sunshine, shade by noon position for the rest of the season. Next year they are good to go and get potted up to bigger pumice.
So, no cover? That would help because then I wouldn't have to worry about them overheating. I do have morning sun, afternoon shade. Also, I wonder if I am doing this too late in the year, winters are cold here.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anything is possible. At this time in your garden you may need the humidity hut set up and be prepared to keep your cuttings from freezing over the winter.
I do think that timing is best during the spring emergence when the tree is bristling with growth hormones. In the heat of summer they go into a survival maintenance mode, with minimal growth extension. So do the math on that and your potential survival rate is way down by August. Following is shut down for winter mode, a further decline in activity. You're kinda asking these cuttings to do a turn around in mid stride, but create the right conditions, anything is possible.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the heat of summer they go into a survival maintenance mode, with minimal growth extension. So do the math on that and your potential survival rate is way down by August. Following is shut down for winter mode, a further decline in activity.
This probably is very much dependent on the local climate.
I found that my junipers do not stall much in mild winters. And in summer they just explode. But our heatwaves are babies compared to what others get (If we have 100F life comes to a standstill)

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes sir, pretty much what I am saying, in regards to when to take cuttings, you want to take them before the summer explosive growth so they are situated before the heat comes on. By August it's too hot and you've past most of the summer explosive growth that you want to take advantage of to get your cuttings really established.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I tend to prune junipers late summer, I take cuttings from my August trimmings, I simply stick them in a pot with pumice, and set them in part sun, and forget them. They stay outside all winter, with my other junipers. For me, cuttings might not actually put out roots until middle of the following summer. I use no cover, no bag, or anything to keep humidity up. If the cuttings says green, eventually it will root. With zero hormone, zero "extra attention", I get between 25% and 50% success rate. Enough success for my simple hobby set up.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I tend to prune junipers late summer, I take cuttings from my August trimmings, I simply stick them in a pot with pumice, and set them in part sun, and forget them. They stay outside all winter, with my other junipers. For me, cuttings might not actually put out roots until middle of the following summer. I use no cover, no bag, or anything to keep humidity up. If the cuttings says green, eventually it will root. With zero hormone, zero "extra attention", I get between 25% and 50% success rate. Enough success for my simple hobby set up.
Ditto...

Top Bottom