Lighting and Leaving...?

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've been reading that the more light a tree receives, the smaller the leaves will be... and visa-versa with 'lesser' light exposures. Seeing how my trees will never be directly under the path of the sun, as the sun arcs across the sky, does this mean the leaves on one side of my trees will tend to be a bit smaller the the leaves on the more shaded 'lesser' light side? I've not yet studied natural trees, closely, to see what 'they' do. This thought just popped into my head...

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I grow ficus- the leaves that grow indoors under my lights are bigger than when they are outside- so yes.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks amcoffeegirl. Just to make sure that we are both on the same page (indoor lighting vs outdoor sunshine)... I am wondering if the leaves on the sunny side of my outdoor trees will be smaller than the leaves on the 'less' sunny side of the same tree? I do all of my growing via a southern exposure, however. The sun always tracks a bit to the southern side, leaving the north side of my plants somewhat shaded and receiving indirect sunlight.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This is the reason that indoors or outdoors, a good methodical bonsai grower will rotate trees at least weekly. So each side of the tree gets exposed to similar light and have uniform growth all sides around. Notice in @MACH5 garden thread, his trees are each on turntables. This way even his large trees can be turned weekly without much effort.

When you have company over, you turn the ''front'' of all the trees outdoors to the best viewing for company, you bring in the tree or two you want to display in your indoor alcove, and then as soon as company leaves, everything gets turned back to optimize uniform growth and the trees brought indoors go back outside.

I have a number of trees that are a bit lopsided, because I forgot to turn them in a timely manner.

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Many thanks, Leo! I was honestly thinking that tree rotation was possibly a needful thing, indeed, however. I stumbled upon something in one of my beginners Bonsai books (don't remember which one) that stated Bonsai trees should never be moved, except for temporary exhibition purposes, then put back just as they were, before. The so called proof was stated somewhat similar to the following;.. "Look at trees growing naturally in the wild. They are beautiful and do not move. "Trees are NOT designed to be moved!" That bothered me, but being as green as I am, I began to wonder if there was any truth to that. Then came further research regarding ramification, shrinking leaf sizes, etc. Things were not logically computing. I've since purchased more advanced reading materials, but have not yet been able to go through those books. Needless to say; "It's tough being a newbie to the world of Bonsai!" There is soo much to learn, just to get started on a good foot... and obviously a lot of misinformation out there. I'm thinking that a lot of books need to be viewed as 'reference-only'... and the words from folks like you taken as sound advice! Thanks, again!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Many thanks, Leo! I was honestly thinking that tree rotation was possibly a needful thing, indeed, however. I stumbled upon something in one of my beginners Bonsai books (don't remember which one) that stated Bonsai trees should never be moved, except for temporary exhibition purposes, then put back just as they were, before. The so called proof was stated somewhat similar to the following;.. "Look at trees growing naturally in the wild. They are beautiful and do not move. "Trees are NOT designed to be moved!" That bothered me, but being as green as I am, I began to wonder if there was any truth to that. Then came further research regarding ramification, shrinking leaf sizes, etc. Things were not logically computing. I've since purchased more advanced reading materials, but have not yet been able to go through those books. Needless to say; "It's tough being a newbie to the world of Bonsai!" There is soo much to learn, just to get started on a good foot... and obviously a lot of misinformation out there. I'm thinking that a lot of books need to be viewed as 'reference-only'... and the words from folks like you taken as sound advice! Thanks, again!

There is a natural arc that at least in my experience, most people follow when learning a new hobby, artform, trade or craft. We all start out as beginners, somewhat analogous to being an apprentice. This period in bonsai usually lasts about 5 years. Then we become analogous to ''journeymen'', where we know the basics well enough to go out on our own. Either work privately without continually running to the books to look things up or literally ''out'' in terms of offering others advice or even doing work for others. At this point we usually feel we ''mastered'' the craft. However, for the better craftsmen the learning continues, until they really become a ''master craftsman''. This is when the art really becomes art.

Unfortunately, in my surveys of bonsai books. Most, but not all, bonsai authors write their first book at about 5 to 10 years into the art and craft of bonsai. While they are mere ''journeymen'', well before they truly have mastered the art. There is a lot of bad information in bonsai books and in articles on the internet. Be particularly skeptical of bonsai books that are the ''one and only'' bonsai book the author has written. Those are pretty much guaranteed to have mis-information. Some really great authors, their first book will have issues, but authors like Colin Lewis will write many books over their career. Colin Lewis's more recent books are fabulous. Well researched and written from a lifetime of bonsai experience.

If you go back in time, not all of my posts are accurate and insightful. Trust me. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. Be at least cautious about all advice, evaluate it in your own context and setting. And the more my terms are ''absolute'' the higher the probability I'm unknowingly spouting bullshit. Yes, sometimes I myself am completely off base.

But I'm pretty sure I am spot on about turning your trees. I've seen enough other people that turn out good bonsai do it, that I don't even have to point to were I did it and where it did not do it.

Growing a tree in a pot is completely unnatural. It is an artificial environment. You can never replicate ''nature'' in a pot, so don't even try. DO try to meet the metabolic needs and environmental needs of the tree in the pot. IF moving the pot around is required to do so, then move the pot. I turn my pots regularly, well, at least as regularly as I can. Sometimes I only turn them once or twice a month, but Ideally, I try to turn them every week.

Top Bottom