Lighting colors, wavelengths, and photosynthesis questions for LED lighting

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So I have spent the last few nights reading about photosynthesis and lighting requirements.
BNut has planted a bug in me and now my head is constantly thinking of multichip LED lighting and now I want to BUILD! But I don't want to rush things. I need my facts straight first.

This is the information I need help with to clarify.

I learned there are different types of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll A, B, and C. Chlorophyll A absorbs indigo and red light, B absorbs blue and orange-red, C absorbs blue and orange in smaller amounts.

From what I could put together A is the most important followed by B in plant growth and C has very little importance. The trget to hit with lighting in the 400nm (indigo) and 700nm (red) range. But the red is only for pushing out buds and flowers/fruit.

Next is LED operate at much lower wattage but put out more light. For instance this is a single 100 watt blue/white multichip LED with a 90 degree lens.
image.jpg

This is a 50 watt 10,000k multichip with a 120 degree lens.
image.jpg

Another question is there such thing as too much light? Meaning people use 1000 watt MH bulbs over their plants. If I were to use 10 of these 100 watt LEDs (not of the same color) I know it would be WAY to much light then what's needed. But what would happen if there was no added heat with all that light? Would the plants still grow or cook?
I know I now need to do a whole lot more research in LED lighting. Just trying to figure some things out in my head as I do my research.

Thanks guys!
LOL THANKS BNUT!

Kevin

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What you need over a reef tank is not what you want over plants. They need the opposite end of the spectrum. Think redder.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HID lamps come in sodium (red) and metal halide (more blue) spectrums. T5 grow lights come in red and blue spectrum. In addition metal halides themselves come in standard and more blueish spectrums. It is well known that the blue end of the spectrum will produce shorter internodes and more compact foliage, while the redder lights produce longer nodes but have the advantage of stimulating stronger flower growth. The same principles apply to LED lighting.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I was only using the pictures I posted as a reference to how bright the the lights were. Has nothing to do with lighting for plants. But smoke you are not correct as the same lights I have used above my reef tank now grow my indoor tropicals for the last 3 years. The bulbs are 96watts each and there are 2 of each 10,000k 7,000k 420nm 450nm. I get fantastic growth with this. It's just expensive.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lights on my indoor tropicals. They are much brighter. Hurts to look at them but the camera auto dims.image.jpg

C.A. Young

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have spent the last few nights reading about photosynthesis and lighting requirements.
BNut has planted a bug in me and now my head is constantly thinking of multichip LED lighting and now I want to BUILD! But I don't want to rush things. I need my facts straight first.

This is the information I need help with to clarify.

I learned there are different types of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll A, B, and C. Chlorophyll A absorbs indigo and red light, B absorbs blue and orange-red, C absorbs blue and orange in smaller amounts.

From what I could put together A is the most important followed by B in plant growth and C has very little importance. The trget to hit with lighting in the 400nm (indigo) and 700nm (red) range. But the red is only for pushing out buds and flowers/fruit.

Next is LED operate at much lower wattage but put out more light. For instance this is a single 100 watt blue/white multichip LED with a 90 degree lens.
View attachment 26532

This is a 50 watt 10,000k multichip with a 120 degree lens.
View attachment 26533

Another question is there such thing as too much light? Meaning people use 1000 watt MH bulbs over their plants. If I were to use 10 of these 100 watt LEDs (not of the same color) I know it would be WAY to much light then what's needed. But what would happen if there was no added heat with all that light? Would the plants still grow or cook?
I know I now need to do a whole lot more research in LED lighting. Just trying to figure some things out in my head as I do my research.

Thanks guys!
LOL THANKS BNUT!

Kevin

Kevster,

Why do you want to run LED's? I have several friends in the hydroponic industry and they all say that LED's just aren't sufficient as a single source of artificial light. Yes, the lumen/watt ration is staggering, but even today, HID's out perform them. LED's may work for small trees, but the initial cost of a system to artificially light trees in the 24" range is huge. I'm not trying to dissuade you or anything, I'm just wondering why you prefer LED's to Halides.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is not an attempt to be disrespectful so don't take it as so. But the reason I stopped asking questions about LED is because I constantly get response you just stated.

The LED your friends are using with hydroponics are more then likely store bought. Those if lucky are the 3-5 led strips. These strips consist of dozens of 3-5 watt bulbs in the red color spectrum to promote bud growth.

So right there is something I'm not concerned with. I don't want nor need bud/flower growth.

The other LED light strip they are selling supposedly covers the whole light spectrum which obviously as we know is not as good as MH.

What I am going to build is a custom LED chip. A chip that I can select exactly what colors I want which will only be the white and mostly blue which is used for foliage growth. These chips that are about 1.5 inch squares contain many small led bulbs that are over charged and put out tremendous amounts of light (bright enough to burn your eyes) while only needing a few amps to operate and last for 20,000 hours.

So why spent $300 to build a custom light strip?
What if it works great as it is for these reef tank guys that think outside the box and started building their own since the industry hasn't been able to yet.
Actually the aquarium industry is building this same set up. One 200 watt light cost about $700 though.

Why? The big picture is cost. Almost nothing to operate as opposed to my 600 watt HM. That should save about $45 a month. The cost of MH bulbs in a 20,000 hour period at $35 a pop every year. That should save HUNDREDS.
High heat from MH where LED have almost non.

What if it works better then a MH which I doubt. But what if it works almost as good or equal too but at the eighth of the cost. I feel that's worth a try. Plus I like to tinker :)

Another thing is wattage isn't the right way to measure lumens. 200 watt led as I said will burn your retinas if you look at it where this would not happen if you look at a 200 watt MH.

So why not?
Well I have ordered a lot of what I need to do the build. But I am not a daddy to a new baby girl so all those plans are put on hold lol.

Top Bottom