ligustrum lucidum dying

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought this on the clearance section at nursery for dirt cheap due to the condition and I liked the pot lol. It looks like this, basically one branch is alive. Any idea if it will recover? I've had it like 2 or 3 weeks now, repotted it with better draining soil the day I got it. It hasn't chanted much if at all since I got it. I have it indoors, under a grow light, on a humidity tray. My app says to water it every 10 days in September. Thoughts? Ideas?

932A08DD-B5B4-4B48-824A-1DD8D664C50E.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First, it should be outside. Second, watering every 10 days is a joke. Third, none of us have any idea of your climate.

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in the Seattle WA area. A joke like not enough water or too much lol. Trees not healthy so I thought putting it outside right before winter was a bad idea

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand your reluctance but it needs to be outside. I doubt it would be having these problems outside. Mine gets watered just about every day but it is in a good bonsai mix.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

When keeping trees inside, there are grow lights and then there are grow lights. Yes it is possible to keep trees indoors under artificial lighting, but unless you are buying specific light set-ups designed for hydroponics (or dare I say marijuana) most cheap grow lights aren't going to do the job. On this site we regularly see people trying to grow conifers under desk lights. It ain't going to happen. Particularly for bonsai, it is best to grow your trees outdoors.

As far as watering every 10 days goes, that sounds extremely low. Outdoors here in NC I am watering at least daily, if not twice daily, at this time of year. If I waited ten days to water, I would have already killed 90% of my trees. Don't listen to an "app" to tell you when to water. Water thoroughly until the water flows freely through the soil and out of the bottom of the pot. Then wait until the surface of the soil is dry, but the inner soil is still moist. Then water thoroughly again. Repeat as your tree tells you.

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
Maybe I'll move it outside tomorrow. It isn't too late since it's not winter yet right? I have these $30 on amazon "brite labs led grow lights". That makes me wonder about my other plants

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you want to try and keep plants indoors, you'll need stronger lights. I searched for your lights and they say "30w equivalent" and actually consume 13w? That's not much more than a regular house light bulb. This poster who's seeing some success is using two higher quality 60w (actual power consumption) lights and a reflective grow tent. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/indoor-mulberry-chinese-elm-dwarf-pomegranate-and-more.50263/

Assuming your plant can survive winter outdoors (seems like it can based on your zone), it's a lot simpler to keep it outside.

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
I moved it outside. Rain season just about to start. We'll see how it goes. So I probably need better lights for my brazillian rain tree then 🤔. What's if I just bought another one of these fixtures so it's 60 w total?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Forgot to mention but now that you've put it outside you should start it in the shade and move it to sun over a week or two so it can adjust.

Also don't be fooled by the marketing "watt equivalent" for the grow lights. Check their actual power consumption and light output in their specs.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are going to grow plants inside you need to get serious about real grow lights and stop playing around with piece meal combinations of mediocre light combinations. Brazilian Rain Trees need a lot of light. I wish you the best but it seems like you are on the path that will end up in you killing a few plants before you figure it out. This is not to be harsh but simply a reality check. It seems almost everyone who grow plants inside, particularly bonsai, has been down this path. I have been keeping plants in some regard for 64 years and I have certainly made a lot of mistakes and killed a lot of plants. To this day I can't possibly get it all right. Myself and others can only make loosely based recommendations and comparisons. We can't kill the plants for you. The learning curve is on you. I wish you the best of luck and hope bonsai are in your future, but they may not be.

Sheasta

Seedling
Reaction score
I might just buy the 100w power consumption/600 watt "output" $67 Mars hydro ts light fixture from Amazon and hope that's good enough for the Brazilian rain tree. I've only had it a few days now. The lucidum has been outside a few days now. Will keep you guys posted

Top Bottom