Ligustrum problemo help pl0x!

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
A search for yellow leaf problems and 100.000 sites later, I feel confused.

I was thinking perhaps a thread would work to identify the problem!

This is the situation:

Unknown-1.jpegUnknown-2.jpeg
The leaves (i assume the older ones) are getting yellow with green dots in them.

It's in well draining soil and has sun in the later afternoon/ evening.
I give it NPK + trace minerals 20-20-20 every 2 weeks

Last edited:

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
I have to add:

Perhaps i see also the newer leaves getting affected. My best bet till now is that its calcium. As an immobile nutrient it affects the top (sometimes yes, sometimes not is what i see). It shows necrosis on the edge of the leaves..

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is inside, start by moving it outside in dappled sunlight (Direct sun at any time other than early morning or late evening will burn it badly with the current heat, after being indoors for a long time).

Does it have small bugs? I suspect thrips

How much has it grown since spring? It should be growing fiercely now. Did you repot?

Naturally, if you have trimmed off all new growth.. At some point a plant drops old leaves. So this COULD be a natural process after not allowing the plant replace its'old foliage for too long.

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
Thanks for the quick responses!

It indeed had a webbing. But with just a single (larger) spider. I couldn't find any other little bugs/dots or anything that looks like it doesn't belong on and under the leaves. But still I could be wrong and I got it all out. After that i gently washed the foliage washing away the weak/loose leaves.

It normally stands in the sun from about 16:00-21:00 hours. Shouldn't this be enough sunlight to satisfy his chlorofyl needs?

What does make you think spider mites/thrips?

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
How much has it grown since spring? It should be growing fiercely now. Did you repot?

Naturally, if you have trimmed off all new growth.. At some point a plant drops old leaves. So this COULD be a natural process after not allowing the plant replace its'old foliage for too long.

I bought it earlier this year. From than it made new shoots and a few small leaves. Than it started yellowing..

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you based? Will you be at the workshop near Emmen this weekend? Bring it along, and we can take a look at the tree. Or drop in at the bonsaicafe at Deshima / Nieuwerkerk. Should also be on Saturday. At both events there will be plenty of people that can by lokoing-touching-feeling-smelling can give you a very good idea of what is going wrong.

Reaction score
You would have to see fine webbing on many surfaces and the joints between leaves and stems, no?
My understanding is that they not always do the webbing... but I could be wrong...

What does make you think spider mites/thrips?

the yellowing of the leaves and the overall lack of a vivid green. Looks like a grayish green...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You would have to see fine webbing on many surfaces and the joints between leaves and stems, no?
Not from the very beginning.

That outer plastic stuff can fool you, isn't the tree still standing in water?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spider mites and thrips make specks as damage. But usually a healthy plant can dwal with that.

This looks like an over watering issue, or having too alkaline water (blocking calcium).

Are there holes in the pot? Do you let the soil dry in between waterings?

Google for "yellowing old leaves" and you'll find that it's mostly easy to fix issues. Maybe even a lack of nutrients, but first focus on the other options.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let's start from the basics. This tree is supposed to be kept outside. I keep ligustrum and it does great in full sun. My tree is growing so much that I'll have to trim for the second time this year.
If it was kept outside there would be less of a chance of bug infestation.
How many hours of sun is it getting?
My ligistrum in blue round pot.20180625_190220.jpg

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
Where are you based? Will you be at the workshop near Emmen this weekend? Bring it along, and we can take a look at the tree. Or drop in at the bonsaicafe at Deshima / Nieuwerkerk. Should also be on Saturday. At both events there will be plenty of people that can by lokoing-touching-feeling-smelling can give you a very good idea of what is going wrong.

Thanks! Emmen is not that far away from here. I will start look into that!

Spider mites and thrips make specks as damage. But usually a healthy plant can dwal with that.

This looks like an over watering issue, or having too alkaline water (blocking calcium).

Are there holes in the pot? Do you let the soil dry in between waterings?

Google for "yellowing old leaves" and you'll find that it's mostly easy to fix issues. Maybe even a lack of nutrients, but first focus on the other options.

The Tree is put in a plastic pot with drainage holes. Filled with a stone mix, perlite, akadama and about a 10th coco peat.. I keep watering till it pours out from under (when i didnt feed it = clearish water) and in between i let the top dry out.

About the googling you find allot indeed, i came to the conclusion that it may be calcium. Any way i started with a different fertilizer ( Peters Professional 20-20-20 with trace elements) to see if it may be that my past fertilizer didn't bring enough to the table..

@ Steven - It's outside and gets sun from 16:00 till 21:00

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Check the bottom of the pot as well before you water. That might give more insight in how wet or dry the medium is. Or use a chopstick; leave it in the soil for 15 minutes and check if it's moist/damp. If it is, there's enough moisture. If it isn't, it's time for watering.

If you're giving tap water only, and your stone mix contains stuff like lime and chalk, both high in calcium, the problem might be a pH that is too high. This blocks calcium uptake in plants. Giving rainwater would help solve that problem, since it naturally should have a low pH. If that's the case, increasing nutrient levels isn't going to help a lot.

I love tackling these issues, but there can always be more than one possible answer. Rule out one, and it's most likely the other.
If you're feeding them as of today, make sure you check the newer leaf color. The yellow ones will drop, but if the problem isn't expanding, it was in fact the nutrient issue and you can forget about pH. If the problem keeps expanding over the course of 3-5 days, it was the pH or overwatering.

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
It was indeed fed yesterday. and I havent (yet?) collected rainwater for the plants. But will look into this point! Thanks for the clear explanation and reasoning!:D:D

I will continue to inspect it over the next few days and also read a little more about pH, because I have to admit im not knowledgeable enough 'bout this.

Lets see!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the soil is draining well and it's not sitting in water held by that plastic cover my guess is it's not a watering issue. Ligusters are very thirsty in the heat of summer. If it were mine I would spray some insecticide to treat it as it had spider mites, shouldn't harm.

iHasaki

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 A
I think its starting to show some new life again and the leaves that are on it didn't decline further. Must have been the balanced fertilizer with the trace elements in this case. Perhaps in combination with the decline of the spiderwebbing. Anyway. Good vibes! Thanks.

Top Bottom