Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes... Err...too dramatic

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In 2006 this foemina juniper forest was repotted into a larger 36 inch shallow bonsai pot. This now famous picture is of the forest prior to repotting as the tops of the junipers can be seen above my head.
It has been growing ever since and I hate to prune on them. They are fast growing, razor sharp, and just dreadful to prune on. This is why it looks like it does. Maples are so much easier to work on.

al thong.jpg

I will try to ressurect this thing by working it over in stages to chase the foliage back in to the secondary branches and then start phase two.

PHASE ONE

The tree was photographed for posterity and a starting point.

DSC_00940012.JPG

All of the foilage will be reduced by two thirds. This will induce back budding. These foemina junipers are so agressive that removing all the green from a stem will still bud. There is no reason to be that stupid and remove it that far since I can get this back in a season with judicious pruning, which I loath. My wife tells me that this rat bastard takes up a significant amount of the backyard view so either fix it or burn it!

The wife has spoken, so I guess I'll fix it.

DSC_00950013.JPG

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That thong is more like a Phoenix rising from the ASSES! LMAO
Can you say WHALE TAIL?

Ohh... Were you talking about the trees? I am sure you can resurrect them as well. Thanks for burning my retinas just before bed!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome Newbies. Cats out the bag!

There it is........

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tonight with pruners in hand, I was able to give it another go. As I work my way into the core of each tree, there is a lot of dead stuff. I feel confident that some of it will bounce back. Some will be dead but with thirteen trees to work with it will be a matter of making the best of the composition at repot. It is a huge brick and will have to be sawn apart. The composition at this point is totaly symetricaland there is such an even spacing amongst the trees. many will have to have a whole side removed in an effort to group three or more tree into sub groups upon repotting.

All the branching has been reduced now and it is a waiting game for the buds.

DSC_00010001.JPG

With the increased light from an earlier start I was able to find some back budding already. As each long spindly branch begins back budding at the base it will be removed leaving only the back budded stub as I have done with some of these already.

DSC_00020002.JPG

DSC_00030003.JPG

DSC_00040004.JPG

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That thong is more like a Phoenix rising from the ASSES! LMAO
Can you say WHALE TAIL?

Whale Tail? How about this...

wtpa.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist:D

Lookin' good Al, can't wait to see how it fills in. Er... the branches I mean...

Are you thinking of thinning out and opening the left side more to balance with the right (seems a little branch heavy to me compared to the other side), or would you create negative spaces through wiring and positioning? Or maybe you have some other plan?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ahem... Anyway, I never tried a forest though I like them, Id say theres loads of potential there, I will be watching for updates :)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I never understood the pink thong thing....

I regret finding out what it was.

This kind of reminds me of the juniper forest at the national arboretum.

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh jeez. Suddenly, I discover the problems I have with my trees.
I have no bonsai clothes. :eek:

Top Bottom