Lil juniper

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I saved this guy from the clearance section at Walmart. For $1. I couldn't pass it up. It was kept inside by the front door. Very little foilage and color. I brought it home a few months back, gave it some PROPER light and fertilizer. And now look! Could make a nice Mame one day. I've always been more of a decidious guy, so I'm excited to try my hand at this lil dude1501547725015791185191.jpgIMG_20170731_193840519_HDR.jpg

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks like it's doing really well, good job!!

Have fun with it! love wiring junipers
Thank you! I'm finally getting comfortable enough to really start working on my trees. When wiring a juniper... Do I wire the branches that have foilage along them? Or will that little foilage go away as the branches harden off?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you! I'm finally getting comfortable enough to really start working on my trees. When wiring a juniper... Do I wire the branches that have foilage along them? Or will that little foilage go away as the branches harden off?

As the branches harden off those scales will go from green to brown eventually and yup they will dry and fall off. On your tree many of your branches are very young....they are delicate on junipers when they're so thin.

If you are wanting to wire in the near term I would suggest wiring and getting some movement in the trunk first. For right now since the tree is growing healthy finally I would leave the top alone and let it grow.

This tree is young and you have time to really think about the direction you want to go with it. Study it from all angles Take pics of it too from different angles and look at those.........

Junipers are flexible so that is nice and will lend itself to many options.

Don't go taking off too much foliage either in one shot on these......their energy is their foliage and if you work the tree too hard you'll kill it. Same thing with the roots. Take it slow and it'll stay happy!

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As the branches harden off those scales will go from green to brown eventually and yup they will dry and fall off. On your tree many of your branches are very young....they are delicate on junipers when they're so thin.

If you are wanting to wire in the near term I would suggest wiring and getting some movement in the trunk first. For right now since the tree is growing healthy finally I would leave the top alone and let it grow.

This tree is young and you have time to really think about the direction you want to go with it. Study it from all angles Take pics of it too from different angles and look at those.........

Junipers are flexible so that is nice and will lend itself to many options.

Don't go taking off too much foliage either in one shot on these......their energy is their foliage and if you work the tree too hard you'll kill it. Same thing with the roots. Take it slow and it'll stay happy!
Woohoo! Thank you!! Just the info I needed to go into this without completely f---ing it up!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure it aint a cypress?

Usually they keep them lemon cypress indoors.

Don't know how much it matters for care....

Nice!

Sorce

AlanReynolds

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Man, that is just totally awesome, $1 bonsai is something I think all of us dream of. I don't believe there is anyone on this forum that could pass up a $1 juniper bonsai. I want a $1 bonsai, I'm jealous! If i didn't have so many clippings rooting, I'd be even more jealous.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's my azalea, on which I wrapped a Waite around the pot, and attached guy wires to it.
Works well!

Attachments

• IMAG3467.jpg
    IMAG3467.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom