Lilac cuttings budding their brains out!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a lilac bush fall apart on me recently, so I took these two chunky cuttings, dusted them with rooting hormone, and stuffed them in some soil.

A few weeks later and they're budding their brains out! They were just sticks when I put them in the pot. It's so awesome to see, I had to share.

2601860990461417767.jpg3248314390165382951.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's time for me to try for a second time :)
Previous year I had no luck with Lilac cuttings.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's time for me to try for a second time :)
Previous year I had no luck with Lilac cuttings.
I forgot to mention I stripped about 2" of bark before dusting with rooting hormone and plunking in the soil. That may have helped my odds.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A few weeks later and they're budding their brains out! They were just sticks when I put them in the pot. It's so awesome to see, I had to share.

Nice - don't let them dry out and you should be even happier in a few weeks :)

Grimmy

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I had a lilac bush fall apart on me recently, so I took these two chunky cuttings, dusted them with rooting hormone, and stuffed them in some soil.

View attachment 193841View attachment 193842

I just did this to a gumbo limbo tree. I hope the same thing happens but I should of done what you did by stripping some bark off.. That's a great idea. Congrats!

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I forgot to mention I stripped about 2" of bark before dusting with rooting hormone and plunking in the soil. That may have helped my odds.
Stripping the bark would really help? I'm confused on the reason why can you explain for me

I have a lilac that I had to take out :( but it had a couple good sized suckers that I want to save and pot for my wife

Top Bottom