Lilac ICU help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I recently decided to give a larger lilac (Edward J Gardner) from a local nursery a shot at life. It was very cheap as it had suffered immensely during the drought. I’m wondering if there’s anything to be done going into winter here to try and give it an energy boost.

It right now has no leaves due to the damage. Right now it’s still trying to establish some new ones after I had chopped it back and trimmed off desiccated roots.

I’m debating what’s best - bring it indoors to delay winterizing a couple months then slowly transition out, insulating it a bit extra outside and with a heat pad in the hopes it can become energy positive for a bit before winter sets in, or just leaving it out with some insulation (fleece) against the wall of the building and/or in my cold frame.

It’s a Hail Mary type of plant but I’m OK with every result short of straight plant death (tbh OK with that too but don’t tell it). If it does back to the base or three main trunks I’d be delighted to have those alive come spring.

Thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• 4851EC8E-3B69-4B2F-A4D9-8A7AEC692B9C.jpeg
    4851EC8E-3B69-4B2F-A4D9-8A7AEC692B9C.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Well so far so good. Pushed a good number of buds this spring and has smaller leaves on them. Only the one original branch with leaf buds has full-sized leafs but it’s trying!057F9705-7499-45B6-9ED4-94D82A4F0302.jpeg794A9A2C-B584-434E-9D29-6B9D73B6A705.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Just had wrapped in fleece over the winter. Soil isn’t great - didn’t have a supply of bonsai soil when I got it so right now it’s in a blend of no-peat organic soil, sphagnum, and bone meal. Maybe will repot ij fall depending on how well it does over the summer

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Ready for the winter and seems to have lots of buds set for spring. Hoping to cut back further down towards the trunk next spring but it may be on hold for me to transition it from potting soil to bonsai soil in an Anderson flat. tempImage7mYMMK.jpgtempImagei5GJpn.jpgtempImageLXJ9lT.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I’m hopeful that this guy is out of the woods. Repotted and chopped back this year. Roots looked pretty good. Potted in 1:1:1 with ~ 15% sphagnum and ~ 10% bone meal which my little Kim lilac had last season and seemed to love.FE6F54CB-31C6-4C2D-8DEC-5EC3213314D3.jpeg

Top Bottom