Limber Pine 3-4 Year-Old Needles Removal

jonfromchicago

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
You gotta remove that moss on the top , there’s no percolation. Even misting the foliage gets rid of egg infestation as a primary mode of proactive defense.
The moss needs to be there and it also needs to be mounded up high. The way it was potted, the roots are not reaching all the way into the soil, so the easy solution was to cover the roots with sphagnum moss till next year when the roots have definitely reached the soil and I'll probably remove the moss then. Even with this much spaghnum moss, percolation is still really good for now.

and yes I'm always mindful of misting/spraying the foliage for proactive defense against bugs. It really does help knock off any potential insects.

IMG_4586.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and yes I'm always mindful of misting/spraying the foliage for proactive defense against bugs. It really does help knock off any potential insects.
Fungus also encouraged by doing this which is personal bigger worry. Great deadwood/age your tree shows. May it live long and prosper. Humbly suggest trying deeper pot when repot time comes. Maybe custom made one? Tree seems endowed with too few needles:confused:. Were only dead needles removed? Just cleaned personal P. flexilis Sunday and fortunately seems more needly than yours does afterwards☺️ .

Last edited:

jonfromchicago

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Fungus also encouraged by doing this which is personal bigger worry. Great deadwood/age your tree shows. May it live long and prosper. Humbly suggest trying deeper pot when repot time comes. Maybe custom made one? Tree seems endowed with too few needles:confused:. Were only dead needles removed? Just cleaned personal P. flexilis Sunday and fortunately seems more needly than yours does afterwards☺️ .
I'm definitely thinking of making a custom pot for this one in the future, possibly a slab and shaped where I can cover the side with the roots. Though putting it in a similar pot is still an option too. I'll be able to remove the roots on the side since there are roots on the bottom left side of the tree too. I just played it safe and kept the roots showing. I have 4-5 years till I'm thinking of repotting so I have plenty of time to consider my options on what to do with the tree :)

I only removed the dead brown needles that I was able to remove without much effort.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yup! The limber had lots of back budding this year.
Hey I just recently acquired a limber pine and wanted to know what you mean by backing budding. Does it back bud on old wood or between the needles or something completely different? I noticed on my tree there’s something that looks like a bud on the old wood so I’m a little curious.

Also, if there’s any other advice you can give about this species, that would be appreciated too

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey I just recently acquired a limber pine and wanted to know what you mean by backing budding. Does it back bud on old wood or between the needles or something completely different? I noticed on my tree there’s something that looks like a bud on the old wood so I’m a little curious.
Any chance to see possible bud🤔? "Sometimes" adventitious buds appear in odd spots:oops:.

jonfromchicago

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

Also, if there’s any other advice you can give about this species, that would be appreciated too
Back budding can occur almost anywhere on Limber Pines without bark. Last year, most of the buds appeared 1/2 inch or an inch behind where there are needles on my Limber Pine. As for advice, Limber Pines aren't so limber when wiring so be extra careful when you are trying to make extreme and odd bends with Limber Pines.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an odd spot indeed

View attachment 459810
Looks like back bud to me. Not in such great spot though:confused:.

Back budding can occur almost anywhere on Limber Pines without bark. Last year, most of the buds appeared 1/2 inch or an inch behind where there are needles on my Limber Pine. As for advice, Limber Pines aren't so limber when wiring so be extra careful when you are trying to make extreme and odd bends with Limber Pines.
What he said;).

Top Bottom