Limber Pine First styling.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a Limber Pine (Pinus Flexilis) that I recently styled. This is just the very first styling, so it is still a bit rough in some areas.

I find it very enjoyable and challenging to work with collected trees. I like the challenge of finding a balance between styling, and attempting to keep the wild character of the tree. -- So everything about the tree is certainly not "traditional" styling. But, I don't think it should be.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts.! :)

After:

Before:

After again:

I haven't taken pictures of the styled tree in the round yet. I'll post them when I do.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the tree especially the trunk. In the pics it looks like at least one and maybe two of the upper branches circle back in towars the trunk crossing over another branch? Is that just the 2d representation of the camera or is this your not want9ng to change the natural look of the tree?

ed

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is some of the natural movement of the tree. I mimicked the same movement in the apex as well.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is some of the natural movement of the tree. I mimicked the same movement in the apex as well.

Let me applaud you then ! I think it looks very natural like a tree you might see that has been battered by the weather and lived on. I like it this way even though it may break some of the rules it does not look contrived like the standard cookie cutter pine style.

ed

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here's a Limber Pine (Pinus Flexilis) that I recently styled. This is just the very first styling, so it is still a bit rough in some areas.

I find it very enjoyable and challenging to work with collected trees. I like the challenge of finding a balance between styling, and attempting to keep the wild character of the tree. -- So everything about the tree is certainly not "traditional" styling. But, I don't think it should be.

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts.! :)

After:

Before:

I

After again:

I haven't taken pictures of the styled tree in the round yet. I'll post them when I do.

I love where you are going with this tree. I thank God that some of youare starting to make good use of some of the most wonderful material available anywhere. If you don't do it and get it started they (the trees) will just sit there in the back water of bonsai fly over land.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance. I've been seeing more of these being used lately. I think it's a good sign for the future. -- Will you be out this way any time soon?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Vance. I've been seeing more of these being used lately. I think it's a good sign for the future. -- Will you be out this way any time soon?

Probanbly not this year, I don't know the agenda for certain yet but I will definitely let you know.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's really nice very naturalistic, I assume this was collected. Is this the first that work has been done with it thus far?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.
Yes, I collected this tree in Wyoming. And this is the initial styling. :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dan I know you did not collect this and do the first styling right away but it does not say this in your post. There are many newbies who are jumping into collecting lately and it would be a good idea to add in your post something like > I collected this back in ------ and after it acclimated itself to its new pot and gained strength I did the initial styling.... This would hopefully stop some one from collecting a nice piece like this, cutting and styling it and wondering why it weakened and died.

ed

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Dan I know you did not collect this and do the first styling right away but it does not say this in your post. There are many newbies who are jumping into collecting lately and it would be a good idea to add in your post something like > I collected this back in ------ and after it acclimated itself to its new pot and gained strength I did the initial styling.... This would hopefully stop some one from collecting a nice piece like this, cutting and styling it and wondering why it weakened and died.

ed

hence my little prod, it'll all depends on how strong the material is. I have collected pitch pine that I was able to due some styling that same fall while others I'll have to wait 2-3 years before I can even look at it other then fertilize and water. Hard to tell how long this has been since, since the grow box still looks like newer wood. Again very very nice pine.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, I should have added that to the original post. I'll get it in there. :)

This tree was collected in May of 2013, so it's been almost two years. I only felt safe styling this winter because it grew well the first year, and very strong last year. If growth was still weak I would not have even thought about styling.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Boy I would love to get my hands on this one. You have done a wonderful job with it without destroying the character of the tree to do it.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Potawatomi13 and @PeaceLoveBonsai

Sorry guys, life got a bit crazy with kids and other life changing events so I haven't really been on here since 2017. I totally missed your requests!

But yes! The tree is still with me and has even been shown once or twice. This photo is a couple of years old, but still a fairly current representation.

Attachments

• ShowTrees 026a.jpg
    ShowTrees 026a.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 45

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
welcome back! based on how often I hear your name mentioned by top pros, I take it it's been a good few years.

Top Bottom