Lime-sulfer ban

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I recently learned that Lime-sulfur spray has been banned in California. This could pose a problem for all who have a lot of trees such as California junipers that are mostly dead wood and must be preserved. It may well be that this ban only applies to the agricultural spray products. Anyone out there have any info on this?
I'm researching this situation and will pass on anything I learn.

Mike

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
This doesn't suprise me.....California bans everything....better watch out oxygen might be next on the list :)

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Banned here too, but I know the secret password at the local garden supply.

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
"Toxicity to humans, including carcinogenicity, reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, and acute toxicity."

quote from the Pesticide Action Network North America

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
i doubt it. I remember when we lived there, I built a new deck, and the next year when I went to get preservative for the wood they had banned my favorite kind.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Dammit and I need to pick some up too:mad:. Just acquired a large California Juniper that has been neglected for a while, once I get it cleaned up I'll need a bucket of Lime sulphur;)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike just split the process.

Each chemical is there for a reason. You main reason for usuing this product is for preserving the dead wood. The sulphur in the process does nothing in that process in the preserving of the wood. The sulphur is there to aid as a fungicide and pest control.

So just mix calcium hydroxide, (get the food grade for canning its finer ground and mixes more easily with water) and mix to sloution. Use a surfactant like dish soap to aid in whetting. It is in commercial lime sulphur too, that is why it foams when you put it on. Your tree will white up and the calcium will integrate with the pores in the wood hardening them just like the lime sulphur did.

Use a good fungicide before application of the calcium and you will be covered just like before.

You can make your own though dangerous. Just boil the calcium hydroxide solution with the addition of sulphur powder and surfactant.

Both chemicals are not banned, just together. This process is not chelated so the calcium will fall out of solution and harden in the bottom of the bottle you keep it in. Make enough for your yearly use( a cup or two?) and make it fresh each year. This is not the end of the world, we just have to be more resourcefull now.

al

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can make your own though dangerous. Just boil the calcium hydroxide solution with the addition of sulphur powder and surfactant.

al

While this is being really resourceful.......bad, bad idea. As Al said its dangerous, and if your neighbors don't like smell of poo balls..........they will run you out of town on a rail when they get a whiff of the overwhelming smell of rotting eggs.

I did this once...thought I could bring the cost down on my white lightning lime sulfur solution. I about knocked myself out, and I had a positive flow respirator. I also pissed off the neighbors (my closest neighbor was a 1/4 mile off) so much they called the fire department to come investigate a potential chemical spill.....was a bad day in black rock.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yeah. Making your own is a bad idea. You'd need an indstrial strength respirator to protect yourself (and don't forget family).

Usually these kinds of bans allow merchants to see the stock they already have on hand, so you can stock up. Then, there's mail order.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I did this once...thought I could bring the cost down on my white lightning lime sulfur solution. I about knocked myself out, and I had a positive flow respirator. I also pissed off the neighbors (my closest neighbor was a 1/4 mile off) so much they called the fire department to come investigate a potential chemical spill.....was a bad day in black rock.

Dang - what I would pay to see this on video :) I can see a new reality show: "Bonsai Nurseries Gone Wild!"

Top Bottom