Lime Sulfur and White Paint?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I've heard Ryan Neal say that he mixes white paint with Lime sulfur for use on juniper dead wood. Do you know if it's water color or acrylic? thanks

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The old time So CAl bonsai crowd used to do the same. They used several things- gesso made for preping canvas's for paint, water colors and acrylics also some times india ink. I find the paint and gesso fill too much of the grain in the wood and don't like it. I think it gets more then white enough just using lime sulphur.

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've heard Ryan Neal say that he mixes white paint with Lime sulfur for use on juniper dead wood. Do you know if it's water color or acrylic?
The old time So CAl bonsai crowd used to do the same. They used several things- gesso made for preping canvas's for paint, water colors and acrylics also some times india ink. I find the paint and gesso fill too much of the grain in the wood and don't like it. I think it gets more then white enough just using lime sulphur.
I seen koji hiramatsu Japanese bonsai master Use a mix of white and just a dab of black acrylic paint. To seal the deadwood on a shohin. Juniper. I think it looks very good. But I think he used rather then lime sulfur because it put it on a right away and the paint somewhat protects the tree. After doing extensive work in a short time …. Attached is some pics. From the article bonsai empire

Attachments

• F923D8DE-28A7-4A14-B7E4-B463D38E22C3.png
    F923D8DE-28A7-4A14-B7E4-B463D38E22C3.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 3D2CD346-DD8A-4B63-A56B-E7D83E515ED8.png
    3D2CD346-DD8A-4B63-A56B-E7D83E515ED8.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 43

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have worked with a lot of trees that were whitened with lime sulfur and they looked great. I had only one tree that was sulfured with white paint and it looked very bad. So a small sample size, but I’d do a lot of research or practicing first. Obviously Ryan Neil figured out a way to make it look good so it’s an option. India ink looks great IMO but that’s the opposite effect. Only opinions but I wouldnt try it on a nice tree

Top Bottom