lime sulfur plz plz plz help

Mr Fever Tree

Seedling
Reaction score
g-day all.....this being my first thread>hehe

i would almost beg someone to give me the chemical composition of lime sulfur used for jin's....for
I'm walking from one wall smack bang into next.......lol! for here in South Africa i cant seem to get answers from anyone............ nursery's to bonsai hobbies etc.

my native Wild Olive is in desperate need of some jinning and is almost ready to give up on me.

please if one could help..there is a product on the market for use on fruit trees etc. but i ain't gonna slap just any liquid on my little friend...out of sure panic i suppose.

plz plz plz and again plz help

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonide has a 32 fl oz Concentrate Lime Sulfur spray that is the same concentrate as the small bottles you can buy for Bonsai for about the same price if not cheaper.

Mr Fever Tree

Seedling
Reaction score
...Bonide has a 32 fl oz Concentrate Lime Sulfur spray that is the same concentrate as the small bottles you can buy for Bonsai for about the same price if not cheaper.

..so i stand to be corrected, but your saying that the product ive mention is what i would need for my jin's..am i understanding you correctly.????

many tx

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it is
I have a old 250 ml bottle of "Jin Seal" that has 29% Calcium Polysulfide and a 946 ml container of Bonides "Lime Sulfur Spray" that lists 30% Calcium Polysulfide. They both sell for around ten dollars, but you'd have to have quite a bit of deadwood to use up the Bonide, but it's the same thing, and as long as you keep the cover on tight it doesn't go bad. I also use a diluted mix of it as a wash before I put my trees away for the winter, and on my standard apple trees

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Why do you want to use lime sulfur on a jin on an olive?

Generally, it is used on coniferous trees to five them the white bleached look. Again, generally, you do not want that bleached look on broad-leaved trees.

It has VERY little preservative function.

Jur

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LIME SULPHUR RECIPE
To one and a half pints of water (0.8 Litres) add two ounces (57 Grams) of hydrated garden lime and bring to the boil stirring slowly.
Add three ounces (85 Grams) of Flowers of Sulphur a little at a time and make sure that the solution is stirred continuously and kept at a gentle boil.
After a while the Sulphur will disappear and the liquid will turn yellowish brown.
The Lime takes longer to dissolve, often leaving a residue. When it seems that no more is going to dissolve, allow to cool, drain off the liquid and filter through an old nylon stocking into marked storage bottles, well stoppered.
As the above is taking place a certain sulphuric smell is inevitably given off. If this interferes with domestic harmony you may prefer to buy some.
...a drop of detergent in the water will assist in the incorporation of the sulphur. It also helps the subsequent solution to enter the pores of the dead wood. Allow at least three-quarters of an hour to complete the full preparation of the recipe.
From http://bonsaisite.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2165

Mr Fever Tree

Seedling
Reaction score
Fangorn: gr-8 thanks for da help..went out a got me some, cost only around $5 not bad:D

Jur: your Intel is very well documented, thanks for it but as you could see $5 or make my own i chose rather to bye...but thank you extremely helpful though.

jkl: my Wild Olive (Olea Europaea / Olea Africana) was purchased from a nursery about 9 months back in one hellish state of disregard the only real sign of life was moss growth on the bark and two nodes looking promising. Ive been giving it much love every day and its starting to show very good signs of recovery.
i think bleaching the jin's with lime sulphur/ink mix would maybe do so justice here...

Am i wrong.....yay or nay?

Ive been doing this splendid art form for only 18 odd months now.

thanks

Attachments

• bonsai_ 025a.JPG
    bonsai_ 025a.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 39
  • bonsai_ 027a.JPG
    bonsai_ 027a.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 45

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can't quite see where the jin begin, but I think I'd get rid of all (or most) of it, and have a nicer shohin-size tree.

Attachments

• bonsai_ 027a.JPG
    bonsai_ 027a.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 37

Mr Fever Tree

Seedling
Reaction score
I can't quite see where the jin begin, but I think I'd get rid of all (or most) of it, and have a nicer shohin-size tree.

hit the nail on da head here jkl.....SHOHIN's been staring me right in the face and i just couldn't see it....lol

gr-8 help thanks good by to the jin's well i might just keep one!

Top Bottom