Lime sulfur

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Its got more than good looks though, it helps preserve the wood from rot.
I have seen many trees in nature with sun bleached dead wood, as white as snow.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't like it. It looks so artificial on any type of tree.
I would refer you to Walter Pauls trees and his comment from another thread where he said "I do spray almost everything in late winter with diluted lime sulphur." Do you find his trees to look artifical?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Spraying with lime sulphur is a preventive measure, in reference to dormant season spraying.
I use Neem Oil in December and lime sulphur in February.
That's another good reason to use it, but I think the OP is referencing using it to bleach deadwood.
On some trees though, just spraying does lighten the bark color.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The brightness of lime sulphur applied to dead wood can be toned down by adding India ink, which gives it a silver gray hue.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The brightness of lime sulphur applied to dead wood can be toned down by adding India ink, which gives it a silver gray hue.
Yeah, that's a great point too, I have seen people do that....
I was wondering if wood ash could be mixed in to darken it too....

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wood ash can be used, but it rubs off easily. And because it's carbon structures in degradation, some organisms will thrive on it. Ink penetrates a bit deeper since it dissolves a lot better in water.

I used to hate whitewashed trees, until I started obtaining junipers, and large quantities of them too. Now I adjusted my taste (or it adjusted/evolved itself), because I wanted to know what makes it appealing and how to do that myself.
I still think some people over do it, the same goes with deadwood. I can put my own taste aside thankfully, and judge combined executions instead of just the individual elements. There are a lot of designs I would never want in my garden, but they are good designs nonetheless.

Same goes for almost every art form; I don't like some tribal tattoo styles, but I (and everyone else) can see if the artist has done a good job. If the lines are squiggly and the coloring fades all over the place, then it's poorly done. If it's tight lines, sharp edges and solid coloring, I still can judge it as a well executed piece of work even though I think it's ugly as hell.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The stark, bright white look of deadwood immediately after the lime sulfur is applied is temporary. After a few months, it becomes a much more muted and "natural" grey tone. I'll apply it to my junipers every few years.

Top Bottom