Lime sulfur

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got finished applying lime sulfur to a new jin. Man I hate that stuff. Every time I've used it I have thought there must be something that does not stink so bad. Does anybody use something else for this task that works in the same way without the smell?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Exactly...and if something better existed, would the assumption be we are simply sadistic enough to keep using the stinky stuff?:p

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I'm going to try what art conservationists use, a product called Paraloid B72, dissolved in Xylene. Very effective as a wood preservative, natural color and non shiny. sold by Talus I believe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm going to try what art conservationists use, a product called Paraloid B72, dissolved in Xylene. Very effective as a wood preservative, natural color and non shiny. sold by Talus I believe.

It'll be interesting to see what that product will do to the bleaching process, which lime sulfur mimics. I would think conservationists would want something which would preserve the natural color along with the wood. The drawback to that is that it would leave the deadwood fresh looking on an intentionally carved piece, but might be an advantage on naturally bleached wood. You should photograph your work before an after... it would be interesting to see.

Victrinia

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I agree Victrinia, it'll work best on weathered deadwood. But after a carve, torch, and left untouched outside for a couple years, I hope that Ill be able to use it then. I've only used lime sulfur in the past, but even with the best efforts, applying yearly, I've seen deadwood slowly rot, (Which maybe good under the right circumstances), esp. at the soil line. That's why I tried to find something different. I should be able to give this stuff a try this year on a yamadori P. Pine with already fantastic deadwood. I'll post a thread on it.
Chris

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It is a very common misconception that lime sulfur is some kind of a wood preservative. It is not. Lime sulfur is a fungicide and pesticide. Normally it is applied to plants at a 30:1 dilution or more. We apply full strength, so we smell the H2S "rotten egg" smell. It has the property of turning white (sometimes TOO white) a day or two after it as applied, whcih is the major reason for its use. Any anti-rot (fungicidal) properties vanish after at most a week or two.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the information JKL, I wasn't aware of that. The whiteness is the reason I don't like using LS for the most part...entirely subjective. I think I'm in the 'minority' ;)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the smell.

I use it less and less though. I'll use hardware store wood preservatives on occasion now - epoxy resins and such - but generally I prefer the more natural look of the wood as it matures untampered with. My first love was always penjing anyway, and they don't use such stuff.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of wood preservative do you use and does it look afterwords it's applied?

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of wood preservative do you use and does it look afterwords it's applied?

Not at home to check, but I use one now by Miniwax, and am pleased with it. It darkens the wood slightly with a brownish hue, but looks quite natural even initially, and more so over time. Dan Robinson uses one called Cures Rot, I believe. Probably most of them work, and their advantage over LS is the ability to preserve the form of deciduous wood and even semi-rotten wood to some extent. I'm also not to keen on the super-bleached look for many trees, and this provides a nice alternative.

Lots of my trees posted here display significant deadwood, and many use the resins. I can't recall which ones are the best examples at this time except the big Korean hornbeam and possibly the old beat up Chinese elm (on which I used to use LS) - I don't think I've posted updates on either lately, so you may have to search a bit. The European hornbeam also, but from the front it cannot be seen well in the uro.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I believe Kathy uses PC-petrifier. I have some but haven't used it yet. I have a cheap old tanuki I may try it on at some point.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I believe Kathy uses PC-petrifier. I have some but haven't used it yet. I have a cheap old tanuki I may try it on at some point.
I've used it (for the last year, diluted 1:1 with water) on the deadwood on all my Rocky Mountain Junipers...seems to do a good job without changing the color or texture of the wood.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
when I use lime sulfur i use it not diluted but on a wet tree and outside, the smell never bothered me that much, but maybe it’s just my nose..

Top Bottom