Lime sulphur drama in my Shimpaku Juniper

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello guys! I have recently decided to preserve my deadwood features in a Shimpaku juniper by painting them w/ lime sulphur. However, upon deciding to moisten them, I accidentaly forgot to dry out moisture in the trunk.
Outcome: It looks like this
365ec431c12bd79a53e591b2791071cc.jpg
Do you know if there is a way of removing excess lime sulphur from the trunk line, or should I wait for it to wear off? Thanks.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is the problem on dead wood or live bark?
I don't think you can remove lime sulphur after application. It has bleached the dead wood which is one of the things it is supposed to do.
It will fade with time but people who do not like the really white look mix a little ink or other blackening with the lime sulphur or paint some really diluted ink on after.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Is the problem on dead wood or live bark?
I don't think you can remove lime sulphur after application. It has bleached the dead wood which is one of the things it is supposed to do.
It will fade with time but people who do not like the really white look mix a little ink or other blackening with the lime sulphur or paint some really diluted ink on after.
Nah, you can scrub it off with a toothbrush...at least most of it. I’ve also had poor luck mixing ink into LS. I find diluting it with water has a much more pleasing look. 1:1 has been effective for my taste.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brian, where do you get your stocks of lime sulfur concentrate?

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brian, where do you get your stocks of lime sulfur concentrate?
Any Agricultural supply business that supports vineyards or orchards should have lime sulfur, and be about 10% or less the cost of “bonsai” lime sulfur, and they are all just a calcium polysulfide Colloidal suspension.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Top Bottom