Lime Sulphur

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. the stuff used on bonsai would dissolve a dog or even a cat...

quincey

Seed
Reaction score
Actually it is the same, but lime sulphur sold as dog/cat dip is heavily diluted about 1:16 to 1:32. Like rockm said the non diluted stuff would dissolve your dog or cat since it is corrosive to the skin.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
:D Same effects on coons and chip munks???:D

Sorry Mark it just rolled off the fingers, I do feel for you. You should be due for some better luck any day now.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
a new use for lime sulphur--chipmunk dip:D

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I knew that would be the simple solution, but if I can avoid paying excessive shipping charges for a 4 oz bottle, then I thought it was worth a post.

If you are buying a 4 oz bottle it is likely a repackage. Since the product is no longer to be imported from Japan to the US it is likely subject to price gouging and black market approaches.

It is still available to me rather cheaply so if I seem a little fickle about your shipping I apoligize. Right now I collect Roman coins from the Roman Empire and have been paying as much as 10.00 in shipping for a single coin, so 4.00 or 5.00 dollars for a 4 poz bottle which will probably last a number of years seems rather inexpensive to me.

To each their own.
Al

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Daedalus,

A four ounce bottle will likely last you five years, or longer, unless you have large collected california junipers with deadwood areas the size of barn walls...:D

Attempting to make this stuff from other sources or from scratch can end in disaster, a nasty, smelly disaster.

Additionally, there are products sold in nurseries that CONTAIN lime sulphur, but they are NOT the stuff you want for bonsai. Usually the nursery stuff has an oil additive that will make a mess of your deadwood. The prepared bonsai solution really has no correllary, as it is technically illegal in the US to use it as a wood preservative. The personnel at the National Arboretum can't use lime sulphur on the national bonsai collection for that reason. They have tried to come up with a substitute, but haven't been real successful.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
My local nursery sells it for 9 bucks a quart. Be sure to add some ink or your deadwood will come out looking like a good old boy from down south on Sat. night wearing a sheet wth two eye holes cut out. The only sheet they wash by the way. That would be bright white for you Yankees.......:rolleyes:

Harry

_-ll-_

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Start from this beginning... I haven't heard of this stuff before. What is it used for?
_-ll-_

Top Bottom