Linden, Worth it?

MiguelMC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello everyone!
I know you all love to see this type of threads, so here it goes.
I've found this Linden it has a decent base at about 10cm wide, its at 50% off discount and I've been looking at it for quite a while now thinking if it worth or not.
the trunk its its pretty much over run with thick shoots and I'm guessing more than half need to go this makes afraid of having a trunk filled with scars that might detriment the overall look of the tree, furthermore this being an unknown species to me, I'm not fully aware of its habits like, does it heal well time, are the branches brittle. what do you guys think of the tree, do you see decent possibilities, or do you think this tree is better suited for the lumberyard?

btw this is what I've considered to be the main trunk line.

Attachments

• IMG_7796-new.jpg
    IMG_7796-new.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7797-new.jpg
    IMG_7797-new.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7798-new.jpg
    IMG_7798-new.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7799-new.jpg
    IMG_7799-new.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7800-new.jpg
    IMG_7800-new.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 57

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
depends what you want to do with it mate. it looks a bit shrubby and will probably be more suited to a clump. do you like clumps?
there are loads of linden threads on here where you can learn about the species. Walter pall, Arnold K, Maros, Mach5 and myself all have threads on Linden trees. this is where a little research takes you a long way;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh wow, @Walter Pall that is one amazing Linden bonsai. Not comparable with the tree proster here though.

I think I would still go for a single trunk. What for me it not clear, is whether that indeed is a root circling the base. THen I would pass on it.

MiguelMC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thank you for the input, while I do like some clumps, I've never attempted one and I believe I don't have enough skills to pull one off as of yet. most clump I see are bushy when in full leaf and messy in their winter garments, pulling one to look like a real tree it isn't something I think ill be able to pull off just yet, therefore the single trunk approach. I'll take a look around in the forum, and I might find inspiration and the info I'm looking for.

regarding the base, I don't think there is a root circling it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan has a thing on how their compartmentalization is easy to read.

Looks like a wire is in that base.
At the prefect height to layer for a clump IMO.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine, I would be removing these lower branches, one on each side. Let that start to heal and once they start to callus over, do another pair. Slowly making my way up removing pretty much all branches that way. I find linden close wounds pretty well.

MiguelMC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If it were mine, I would be removing these lower branches, one on each side. Let that start to heal and once they start to callus over, do another pair. Slowly making my way up removing pretty much all branches that way. I find linden close wounds pretty well.

I was thinking about doing it the same way.
But now I'm a bit concerned about the base being a wire might be detrimental to the tree in the future.

I've been looking at some linden here and I've seen many mostly in informal broom or clump

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
If it would grow by me i’d Buy it in a second.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would buy it too, and slowly work it into a informal upright. It would take a decade or so, but Lindens are alluring. I have a few Im field growing.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
The main trunk line you identify is awful - straight, immature, taperless. I’d say the material had more potential for a clump style. There’s a reason it’s discounted Imho.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a tree with relatively large leaves. It is only approachable as a formal upright, UNLESS you want to give it the Walter Pall treatment of growing-on in the field for 20 years, after which you style it and give it the WP August edit for another 20 years of ramification. Walter's trees are to our trees what Rolls Royce is to motor cars.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not think there is a wire. The line -in my view- demarks a root in front for the main trunk. If you look at the bark pattern you see the lnes lower down to be horizontal instead of vertical which you have on the main trunk.

Because of the clumps of branches lower down, I think you would have a hard time working this into a bonsai unless you like large URO and scars. I would expect better plants to be available.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I guess much of it depends on what that 50 percent price reduction gets you down to.
I can get comparable Tilia's in size and development maybe even a bit more defined(certainly not refined though) for 50-60 euro so if it was around that price point and you really want a Linden and can't find other options then go for it. I was tossing up between one or an Alder, I went for the Alder.

MiguelMC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ok ok type for all the input. The price is at 40 euros. And I agree unless I want to go the clump route this might be too much work and will probably end up with a sub par tree, most likely I can find better trees for my desired purpose. Thank you every I think I'll give this one a pass

Top Bottom