Linearilobum (Strapleaf Threadleaf Bambooleaf) Varieties for Bonsai?

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’ve searched for examples of these types of maples on the forum and generally on Google, and it seems they haven’t really been utilized as bonsai. Perhaps they are difficult to layer or sustain/grow on their own roots, or maybe internodes are too lengthy, poor back budding, etc.?

Curious if any of you have experience with them? I ordered and received a Fukinagashi from Mendocino Maples; beautiful purple bark and leaves that will look like this (their picture):
315591B1-3E53-4DA6-8B5F-598DB2392F71.jpeg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a large 'atrolineare' yard tree I've been thinking about trying to air layer, but I have no idea how they take to layers or cuttings.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have about 5 seedlings that are similar to the parent, with nice strap type leaves. I must say, that compared to the others hundreds of seedlings I have, these seem to grow at about 1/4 speed. I have moved them out of seedling flats and into their own, pots, so perhaps this year will prove to be different.

kobusbonsainut

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Did the seedlings have enough roots? The poor root development is the reason they graft dissectum on straight Palmatum rootstock.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, they are completely standard in every respect, except that they are much slower growing. As I mentioned, I moved them into a better substrate, so perhaps this year will yield stronger growth. These are seedlings from Beni Otake. I seem to get really interesting offspring from it in general.....twiggier growth and less tendency to apical dominance. However, these are the only strapleaf type that have moved beyond the seed flats. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may get a few more of that type, but because of the way I grow my seedlings, they are quickly outpaced by the others and get buried in the shade of competing leaves.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspect that a good design will be difficult with these because the leaves are airy but large/long. I have air layered red pygmy and koto no ito. They both ended up with good root formation but this is their first year on their own roots. I grew a seedling from a koto no ito (probably 7-8 years ago) and is has been vigorous and very tolerant of some past poor care. I am aiming for a semi cascade in the future to take advantage of how airy the foliage is.
mine backbuds well (even on low trunk). Internodes length has been typical, though very long this year due to some more aggressive fertilization.

Attachments

• AA2F880F-D4EB-46FC-973E-6A9EFF92A0CB.jpeg
    AA2F880F-D4EB-46FC-973E-6A9EFF92A0CB.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 9F49C749-0BF5-4D68-9326-6F77E078041A.jpeg
    9F49C749-0BF5-4D68-9326-6F77E078041A.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 23

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for relating your experience. I have some ideas for this one that are a little non-traditional. Nice tree!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve searched for examples of these types of maples on the forum and generally on Google, and it seems they haven’t really been utilized as bonsai. Perhaps they are difficult to layer or sustain/grow on their own roots, or maybe internodes are too lengthy, poor back budding, etc.?

Curious if any of you have experience with them? I ordered and received a Fukinagashi from Mendocino Maples; beautiful purple bark and leaves that will look like this (their picture):
View attachment 284783
Biggest issue for these here in a southernish location is these varieties' leaves turn crispy in the hot summer by July. they mostly look like crap until the autumn...Landscape trees too...

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Right now this one is north-facing and doesn’t receive direct sun. I’m going to see if those conditions will keep it nice through leaf drop in the fall.

Top Bottom