Link to the dry cleaners pressure washer???

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I have seen it in videos and mentioned in several post but cannot seem to lock down the exact item.

I am wanting to clean up all my Junipers this fall/winter.

Also any other advice on cleaning deadwood and removing bark would be appreciated.

Thank you

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you

No problem and Eastern Leaf has a few inexpensive but very useful tools for bark removal like this one http://www.easternleaf.com/Small-Triangle-Jin-Carving-Tool-p/115890-01.htm ;)

You also might find that covering the substrate and pot with saran wrap while doing cleaning is a good idea. Might also be you could most likely get good results cleaning with a fairly stiff toothbrush and vinegar. That pressurized unit can be very tricky - far more powerful then one might expect so be sure to test pn something like wood from a wood pile first so your plants don't land up in that pile.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When you say "removing bark", are you referring to the removal of the older, superficial layers of bark that builds up over time to expose the newer, cinnamon colored bark, or are you wanting to create a jin/deadwood feature?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Hector. I'll sell you mine, unused, if you'd like. Just contact me if interested.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is the bark that has dried onto areas where the trunk died back in the past that is the trickiest part. It's worth taking time to avoid tool marks. That final layer, a thin skin of brown/red bark is difficult. A dremel with a wire wheel will take it off quickly but will leave tool marks. Small and hardly noticeable but still tool marks. I have found that you can peel down to the final layer easily. Get it as thin as possible without marking the wood then wait until you have a wet period, a few consecutive days of rain. If it's thin enough and exposed to moisture for long enough it can usually be scraped off with a semi dull blade or even fingernails.
Here's a bit I'm working on. image.jpgimage.jpg
This one below was all dead and dry bark on the right, left side came barkless. Cleaned this spring(mostly cleaned), no tool marks. image.jpg
I've seen demo vids with people scraping and brushing away with wire brushes, wheels, etc to get it done quickly, makes me cringe.

Last edited:

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
It is the bark that has dried onto areas where the trunk died back in the past that is the trickiest part. It's worth taking time to avoid tool marks. That final layer, a thin skin of brown/red bark is difficult. A dremel with a wire wheel will take it off quickly but will leave tool marks. Small and hardly noticeable but still tool marks. I have found that you can peel down to the final layer easily. Get it as thin as possible without marking the wood then wait until you have a wet period, a few consecutive days of rain. If it's thin enough and exposed to moisture for long enough it can usually be scraped off with a semi dull blade or even fingernails.
Here's a bit I'm working on. View attachment 117920View attachment 117922
This one below was all dead and dry bark on the right, left side came barkless. Cleaned this spring(mostly cleaned), no tool marks. View attachment 117921
I've seen demo vids with people scraping and brushing away with wire brushes, wheels, etc to get it done quickly, makes me cringe.

Thank you

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did this to my juniper a few days ago (see the squamata redux thread in this forum).

To get the old bark off I used a dull knife & then fine sandpaper. You need a steady hand. Go on YouTube and watch the cleanup and restyle video on juniper in the art of bonsai vids by Bjorn.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I did this to my juniper a few days ago (see the squamata redux thread in this forum).

To get the old bark off I used a dull knife & then fine sandpaper. You need a steady hand. Go on YouTube and watch the cleanup and restyle video on juniper in the art of bonsai vids by Bjorn.
Did you use a pressure washer on the deadwood?

Top Bottom