Linn01's 2020-2025 azalea entry

Glaucus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got one exactly like that from Esveld as well. Sadly, they weren't able to tell me what the origins of this variety are. 'Crespiflorum' appears in the old botany books as a drawing.
Very long shoots that made me wonder how they grow these, indoors or what.

If it wants to grow shoots that long once more, definitely prune them early.

Pitoon

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One could make some really nice whips with those shoots.

Glaucus

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I have about 8 cuttings or so of this variety. But I kinda want to use them for an experiment. Pretty sure I cut in half the shoots I pruned.
It is narrow leaved so very much like an R.indicum. But compared to 'Kozan' or 'Osakazuki', it must grow very fast. Having shoots 30cm long in the Netherlands is unusual. My 'Cripsiflorum' grew plenty in 2021, but not quite 30cm. It for sure needs a prune in 2022. Flowers are double and purple. Not very special or unusual. Or Esveld magic. Like I said in another thread, Dutch azalea nurseries are on top of their game. The only problem is that they don't grow a wide range of satsuki and modern US varieties.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good start!

At this point I’d go back and shave the chops smooth and cut paste. Azalea chops heal fastest if done very slightly convex to the surface.

Finally if one goes to all the work to do a bare root on an azalea, it’s best to do it complete . It’s a pain, I know, I’ve done over 30 nursery 3-5 yoa azaleas the last month. Yet it’s well worth The effort. We lost a really big donated satsuki at the museum years back. It was planted in Kanuma and acted poorly over the next couple years after receipt. The team finally decided to get into its root ball and see what was going on. Only to find soggy smelly field soil in the core. Too late to save it….

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Linn01

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chop smoothing done. Had to use quite a lot of cut paste though. About the bare rooting: will do a complete one next repotting. Wait a few years or better to do it next year again?

Attachments

• IMG_20220419_152502.jpg
    IMG_20220419_152502.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 21

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry…. I had to go out and find a tree that wasn’t worked yet to show you. Here’s an example.

Before5A9762E9-54A7-4393-9A2B-36AA49E59703.jpeg

After carving down
8F3A72C3-FD48-41F5-8D85-CAA3E84F032B.jpeg

After putty - feather the edges with wet fingers, to cover past the margins

C2260FDF-B8EF-41AA-8783-42B86F10EA84.jpeg

I just leave it on, replacing as needed. Rarely scratching the edges. It takes awhile to seal, depending on the cultivar.

Cheers
DSD sends

Linn01

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tnx! That is a lot of paste. Seems I have to be more generous then. And more thorough in carving.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep. Shaving down the angular spots helps lend credibility to the design.

Smooth bumps and concavities are often found on older Satsuki due to loss of branching, weathering and irregular growth. The lower area I pared down in the example would of been fine over the years. Yet it did make a good example. 😉

btw a good inexpensive book, Japanese Satsuki Azaleas by Watanabe illustrates many Satsuki techniques. It’s available at Bonsai Tonight.

Cheers
DSD sends